cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interfacing with TMDS/DVI/HDMI transmitter with STM32F4?

st.2
Associate II

Hi, I was looking at a couple of parallel input TMDS transmitters that support pixel clock up to 160Mhz, so I was wondering if it is possible to generate some data and output it to an HDTV with STM32F4 ? These chips support parallel 24 bit input so I was thinking of trying a relatively low res, say 480p. These chips expect clock input and proper blanking/HSYNC/VSYNC signals that can be as short as 20ns or less so I am not sure if that accuracy can be achieved with a STM32F4? Also the SYNC signals have to be within a certain front porch / back porch interval withing the blanking pulse and I don't know if that is even practical to try to do that programmaticaly? Basically to clock each pixel in in a loop, I'd have to set values on 24 pins(!), then latch it on the next clock signal (how do I synchronize clock with changing my data?) then when the entire line is clocked in, enable blanking and within a few ns trigger HSYNC by holding it low (or high) for a few ns then disable blanking. Sounds like that kind of bit banging requires a lot of precise synchronization.

1 REPLY 1

The STM32F469 supports DSI connectivity, and ST has a DSI to HDMI/DVI converter using an Analog Devices ​IC. I've had these driving TVs and monitors on the STM32F7 discovery boards.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..