cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are developing a project that logs the GPS NMEA output. Instead of SD card, we have used Quad SPI FLASH memory to store the logs 1. Is it possible to implement FatFs in quad SPI FLASH memory? 2. If yes, please share the example resources.

Shreevatsa Y
Associate II

4 REPLIES 4

Yes, would probably set sector size to 4KB or whatever the erase block size is.

The NAND based eMMC is perhaps more appropriate for such an application.

What are you offering in trade?

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

we want to use serial flash or a quad spi flash instead of NAND based eMMC or SD card due to the cost.

As this is for GPS NMEA data, we will be writing very often will it be a good idea to use serial flash in our project.

The write/erase cycles are usually specified on the data sheet for the parts.

Using a cache and lazy-writer would extend the life, probably quite significantly.

With this type of memory FatFs is not ideal, for a stream of data I'd probably just journal across the entire array, and use headers to associate specific "files" or logging intervals.

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

>>we want to use serial flash or a quad spi flash instead of NAND based eMMC or SD card due to the cost.

I'd be surprised if NOR won a battle for price/capacity.