cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it normal if MCU of NUCLEOH743 gets hot at 400/480Mhz and ~120mA current at IDD Jumper?

Mahmood ul Hassan
Associate II

I am using latest CubeMx and CubeH7 versions

With the increase in clock the MCU start getting hot especially at 400 or 480Mhz. So Is it a normal?

I have also checked the current consumption at IDD jumper and it is ~120mA. Iis this normal value when no external component is attached, default peripherals are configured using CubeMX, 2 LEDs are blinking and clock is 400Mhz?

8 REPLIES 8

I'd be careful of the SMPS vs LDO settings.

I've run the parts over 500 MHz and not warm to the touch.

Only the NUCLEO-H743ZI2 has the V-step part rated for >400 MHz operation.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Mahmood ul Hassan
Associate II

I have NUCLEO-H743ZI and it has MCU with LDO.

So it shouldn't get hot at 400Mhz or does it.

And which version of STM32H743 is on Nucleo-H743ZI2 board?

Uwe Bonnes
Principal II

The datasheet specifies 110 mA @ 400 Mhz typical with all peropherals disabled. So I guess 120 mA is well inside the limits.

Uwe Bonnes
Principal II

Sorry, 71 mA typical, 110 max. So 120 mA would mean a lot of peripherals running an little time in sleep mode.

Mahmood ul Hassan
Associate II

Found the difference.

STM32H743ZI has rev Y and rev V.

And both uses LDO for Core supply.

and only rev V can be clocked up to 480Mhz.

Latest version of cubeMx 5.3 doesn't restrict the max clock to 400Mhz like older versions when NUCLEOH743ZI is selected.

Mahmood ul Hassan
Associate II

By turning off all the peripherals except 2x LED GPIO pins and initializing all the other GPIO as analog the IDD is ~73mA at 400Mhz which is almost same as it is mentioned in its datasheet.

But why is it getting little hot at 400Mhz even when all the peripherals are disabled even though the current consumption is within the range?

is it normal for rev Y?

Singh.Harjit
Senior II

​How are you measuring the current consumption? That can have an impact on the measurement.

At IDD jumper of Nucleo Board.

current is well within the range.

When I checked the onboard temperature sensor value for several hours using HAL function and factory calibration values the max temperature that I got was 44C and average temperature was 41C when environment temperature was around ~38. (400Mhz)

So I think everything is within the range.

It was just the feeling on touch that its getting hot but when I measure the environment temperature the difference is small.

The normal discovery H747 temperature at 25C is around 50C at max clock. So mine is working normal considering its environment temperature.