cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Demo firmware on STM32F769I-DISCO (not DISC1) with B-LCDAD-HDMI1

gfuehrer
Associate II

I have a STM32F769I-DISCO (Discovery board with LCD board) with the OEM firmware unchanged. I removed the LCD board and plugged in my B-LCDAD-HDMI1 (MB1232) board.

What should I expect to see on a monitor?

I've tried three different ones and it seems there's no signal out of the B-LCDAD-HDMI1.

If this is as expected, then what pre-built HEX file should I put on the DISC0 board so that I can test if my B-LCDAD-HDMI1 is defective or not?

Or is there some hardware difference between the DISCO (DISC0) and DISC1 variants that must be corrected first, (explained where, please)?

-Gary

5 REPLIES 5

You need a different build that understands it is talking to the ADV7533, via USE_LCD_HDMI define, code for screen and ADV7533 under BSP directories.

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
gfuehrer
Associate II

I'm trying to back up what came shipped on the STM32F769I-DISCO (because that's not something I can download anywhere, right? If wrong, then where can I download the firmware that ships on the STM32F769I-DISC1 and save me from having to build it?)

When I try to compare the .HEX file that ST-Link Utility 4.5.0 previously created from saving the contents of QSPI, ST-Link Utility puts up a progress dialog that reads "Creating new grid ... Please wait..." for about 20 minutes with a CPU core pegged at 100% after which it reports "Out of memory" (but Windows ain't -- it's at 71%) and crashes. I don't seem to have any way to check if this is a reported problem yet or not.

Some more details. If I only save the first Size: 0x1000 or Size: 0x10000 to a file, then compare operation works fine. At Size: 0x100000, it fills the Target memory (left) pane with totally incorrect data and reports everything as being different than the opened file. I guess things just get worse from there. The size of all the qspi data on my board is 0x34B38E0, 55 times larger still.

The DISCO and DISC1 come with the same firmware images as far as I know.

Save a copy of the internal and QSPI flash devices for your own needs.

I​ think I've posted .HEX files in the past, and there are some in the HAL demo trees for the board, look through the CubeF7 archive.

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
gfuehrer
Associate II

Okay, I guessed a few projects that seemed to involve the ADV7533 but failed. Support answered my same question to them and they pointed me to:

STM32F769I-Discovery\Applications\Display

After doing as you and they said (add pre-processor USE_LCD_HDMI and file adv7533.c) I got firmware that gave me a video signal out of the B-LCDAD-HDMI1. Yay!

Thanks for all the help,

Part of my confusion was mistakenly thinking that the -DISC1 variant came with a B-LCDAD-HDMI1 included (Doh!), and consequently I imagined that the out-of-box firmware on the -DISC1 surely must be all I was needing to test my B-LCDAD-HDMI1. My apologies.

-Gary

No worries, I just think the difference is no one plugs in and mounts a screen at that step of the process. The HDMI and RPi LCD connector options are sold/boxed separately. I think the screens are also available as separate items, as they will plug into some of the EVAL board.

There was supposed to be an Arduino OTTO-STAR board that would have the plug on it also.