cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 10 PC not recognising F411E DISCOas a COM port and a device

HS.19
Associate II

Hey guys,

I have connected two ST eval boards with my PC running Windows 10 v1803. When I connected NUCLEO_L432KC it was recognised as a COM port in the device manager and in "This PC" it showed up as a device and contained a txt file and a HTM file with the name MBED. When I connected 32F411EDISCOVERY board with my PC it did not show as a COM port in the device manager and also "This PC" did not show any device as connected till now(not even as a unrecognised device). The device manager irrespective of any boards connected to it, has one icon as unrecognised device which ruled out the possibility that the DISCO board is shown as an unrecognised device.

Some of the things that I tried till now to solve the problem and nothing worked are below:

1. I tried to refresh and connect once again.

2. Checked connecting the board in other PCs. Same response.

3. Installed STSW-LINK 007, STSW-LINK 009, STSW-STM32102 drivers and refreshed and connected the board once again.

I heard that the flash memory of the DISCO board was completely erased and reprogrammed once, but don't know the details of what exactly was programmed back.

Please help me to solve the issue.

Thanks in advance!

Edit:

1. Sorry for reposting the question as I was unable to delete the older post, since the forum did not allow me to.
  2. I tried to search drivers for the DISCO board in "https://partner.microsoft.com/en-us/dashboard/hardware/search/cpl" and there were no drivers for both NUCLEO-L432KC and 32F411EDISCOVERY.
  3. I connected the board in a Windows 7 v6.1 laptop, it recognised it as an "unrecognised device with no drivers". I would be grateful if a solution comes for my Windows 10 v1803 too, as it does not even recognise it as an unrecognised device.
3 REPLIES 3
HS.19
Associate II

Edit: I just now found that when connecting the F411 DISCO board to PC with a usb cable through the st-link port, the 4 LEDs between the two push buttons are not blinking, which should be, according to the user manual Section 2.1 Getting Started. https://www.st.com/content/ccc/resource/technical/document/user_manual/e9/d2/00/5e/15/46/44/0e/DM00148985.pdf/files/DM00148985.pdf/jcr:content/translations/en.DM00148985.pdf

Does this mean the board is damaged and cannot be used further?

Pretty sure the STM32F411E-DISCO uses an earlier version of ST-LINK (with simpler chip) that doesn't provide a COM port, or mbed MSC drive.

The ST-LINK connection should be at the NORTH end of the board.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
HS.19
Associate II

Thank you for the reply. I cannot understand what you are saying. Is my board damaged or this model can never be recognised as a COM port? As you said the ARM mbed website also does not have any details for the F411E DISCO board. So what can I do now?