cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tilt Compensation & Heading Compensation for LSM9DS1 required or not? How to calibrate LSM9DS1?

KRam
Associate

HI,

I would like to know whether I need to calibrate Accelerometer/Gyrometer & Magnetometer in LSM9DS1. I can able to read the raw X, Y, Z values for the sensors using the I2C module in our Design Board. Do these values need to be compensated for heading and for tilt? how to perform those Heading and Tilt Compensation using those raw values ?

Thanks & Regards,

Karthik Ram

1 REPLY 1
Eleon BORLINI
ST Employee

Hi @KRam​ , taking the tilt angle measurement application (but the same for the heading angle), it is not strictly necessary to perform a preliminary compensation (AN4509). However, it is warmly suggested to follow a calibration procedure at the beginning: to increase the accuracy of the measurement it's better to know the initial position in all the application that need an integration of the sensor output data (so neglecting all the accumulated offsets), such as the acceleration or the angular rotation when used to get the relative position, especially in a static or quasi-static case.

You can refer to follow the MotionTL library suggestions, based on the accelerometer only. The application flowchart is the following one:

0690X000009Yz35QAC.png

Btw, please consider that there are devices properly designed for tilt measure, such as ST precision inclinometer IIS3DHHC.

Regards