cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there any benefit to using MIPI DSI vs RBG TFT directly from STM32H7?

Dvan.17
Associate

Hi,

I've ordered some ST32H757 chips where MIPI DSI is an option...

Which is interesting but I'm trying to see the pros and cons of this compared to RGB control for an 800x480 res screen.

Apart from needing more pins directly to the LCD interface, are there any pros/cons of sticking with RGB?

8 REPLIES 8

I presume low pin count interface to low cost/self contained displays. Making for a much smaller header and flex cable. Likely to be something mass produced for cell phone and tablet markets.

Perhaps see what displays are available via Alibaba, etc.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
T J
Lead

less cable width, longer cable length

only stuck with tiny displays due to STM limitations.

have been asking for much higher resolutions for a while now, but falling on deaf ears...

using RA8877 personally to get to 18.5"

looking for 2k solution myself, if you know of any

AVI-crak
Senior

Power consumption and spurious emissions from the entire system !!!

The RGB interface requires full-scale voltage with a high frequency, as well as an SDRAM memory interface. In the case of MIPI DSI - this load can be significantly reduced.

Screens from tablets, navigators, and even laptops - a larger size at a lower cost.

But for me personally, this is not enough, I expect when the company st begins to embed SDRAM memory under the chip cover. In the meantime, I use chips from Chinese competitors, with memory under the chip cover - for a price three times smaller than that of st. For graphics, they are just perfect.

T J
Lead

@AVI-crak​ would like to see the list of Graphics controllers "with memory under the chip cover " you are working with...

There are many such chips, for example F1C200S.

Trevor Jones
Senior

looking for one that can drive 2k display...

could you point me to a list link?

dual LVDS outputs would be great,

LQFP footprint, if that is possible...

at least 2 pages @24bit on board RAM would be the perfect solution...

hey, that's great,
I guess it has JTAG
is there a graphics software pack thats not Linux ?
would you say that the RAM is verified, or is that why it seems cheap ?
bit confused on the data sheet, does it have ram onboard the chip or on the PCB ?
looks close to what I was after.