cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A question about Vdd, VddA, Vref and clock frequencies

Mr_M_from_G
Senior

Hello,

we want to build a system with STM32H7, hopefully one of the new up to 480 MHz devices. And we really need a high clock of 400 MHz and above. On the other hand we need low power and we use ADC and DAC, both requiring a 3.3V Vref.

Now my question is if we can turn down Vdd to 1.8V to minimize the power loss in LDO voltage regulator, while keeping VddA and Vref at 3.3V.

I searched the data sheets but couldn't find any relations between Vdd and VddA. (which would be a yes to my question but still leaves me a bit insecure, maybe I missed something)

Thanks for any help

Martin

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Danish1
Lead II

Section 3.5.2 and Figure 2 in the stm32h753 data sheet (rev 7) seems to show some restrictions on VddA vs Vdd during the power-up / power-down sequence.

Essentially they say that all the time Vdd < 1.0 V, VddA (and VddUSB) need to be below Vdd + 0.3 V.

During power-up and power-down phases, the following power sequence requirements must be respected (see Figure 2):

• When VDD is below 1 V, other power supplies (VDDA, VDD33USB, VDD50USB) must remain below VDD + 300 mV.

When VDD is above 1 V, all power supplies are independent.

• During the power-down phase, VDD can temporarily become lower than other supplies only if the energy provided to the microcontroller remains below 1 mJ. This allows external decoupling capacitors to be discharged with different time constants during the power-down transient phase.

0690X000009YgpUQAS.png

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Danish1
Lead II

Section 3.5.2 and Figure 2 in the stm32h753 data sheet (rev 7) seems to show some restrictions on VddA vs Vdd during the power-up / power-down sequence.

Essentially they say that all the time Vdd < 1.0 V, VddA (and VddUSB) need to be below Vdd + 0.3 V.

During power-up and power-down phases, the following power sequence requirements must be respected (see Figure 2):

• When VDD is below 1 V, other power supplies (VDDA, VDD33USB, VDD50USB) must remain below VDD + 300 mV.

When VDD is above 1 V, all power supplies are independent.

• During the power-down phase, VDD can temporarily become lower than other supplies only if the energy provided to the microcontroller remains below 1 mJ. This allows external decoupling capacitors to be discharged with different time constants during the power-down transient phase.

0690X000009YgpUQAS.png

Mr_M_from_G
Senior

Danish,

thank you for this hint, I was missing this part.

Thanks a lot

Martin