cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

About UART communication between PC and STM32F4

YAkse
Associate III

Hey, I am trying to connect my STM32F4-DISC board to PC via USART. It is a very common and basic example like sending a string to PC COM port which is covered by lots of tutorials on the web. But my question is,

I first used this product and directly connected to my board's RX TX pins and I was able to get data but all the data was a mess.(Different characters)

After that I found a little device which has a chip on it( I can't read what is the model or manufacturer) and one side is D sub 9 male and other side has 4 jumpers come out of that named as Rx,Tx,GND and 3.3V. Then I also used it and created a connection like this:

PC --USB ENTRANCE-- DIGITUS USB to serial adaptor -- D SUB 9 ENTRANCE -- THE IC I MENTIONED ABOVE -- JUMPERS -- STM32F4

After this setup I was able to see the correct text on the screen and everything worked well.

I researched about why this could be but did not understand. The digitus product itself looks like the only necessity to connect my board to PC but It does not work alone.

I wonder what is the real case?

Thanks in advance.

1 REPLY 1