cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why don't user debug scripts work with STM32CubeIDE ?

dave2012
Associate III

When I specify a user debug script in STM32CubeIDE debug configuration window I get the error "Provided file doesn't exist" even though it's there. Even if I specify the same text as the "Automated Generation" option I get this error.

0690X000009YeY2QAK.jpg

Is there a workaround ?

10 REPLIES 10

Does it work if you "Browse" to it or have the file name/path in quotes like the OpenOCD Command?

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
dave2012
Associate III

Clive,

Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately neither worked. I even tried overwriting the auto-generated script with my debug script then making it read-only but it gets overwritten every time debug mode is entered.

This must be a bug. Any idea where I can report this or do you know if ST devs read these posts ?

Regards

Dave

@Markus GIRDLAND​ 

I'm not sure the forum is heavily patrolled by ST staff, nor if they have any discernible QA policy for code released, or checked into the repository.

I know various departments have bug trackers, but honestly it should be someone's full time job to put a public face on that, and log/track things if they aren't going to provide a means of submission, or a github like repository where people can flag the nonsense stuff, and get some of the caretaker types to hoover the thing and throw static analysis reports at the responsible parties.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
dave2012
Associate III

Totally agree with that. A simple 'Report a bug' in STM32CubeIDE could go straight into a bug tracker database that would at give the devs some decent feedback. Surely bug reports are in everyone's interest?

I try to heavily patrol the STM32CubeIDE tag at least 😅

Bug was easy to reproduce so I'll go ahead and write a ticket for it.

As to the bug tracker suggestion... they are working on something that will make it more transparent and visible to the outside but I'm not sure of the status of it, I just saw the plans for it in a meeting.

Thanks for looking into this, hopefully a fix will make it into the next release.

Good news about the bug tracker plans too.

dave2012
Associate III

I've tried STM32CubeIDE v1.02 but the issue I reported about debug scripts not working is still ongoing. Any idea when it might be fixed ? Perhaps @Markus GIRDLAND could give a heads up?

Thanks

Dave

It is strange. "Browse" button works for us, it i is only typing a path that does not work. I saw that Clive already suggested browsing and that you have tried this without success?

We will try to fix for next release.

Mattias,

When I browse to a configuration file, even one generated by STM32CubeIDE, then close and re-open the debug configuration window I see get an error - see attached. There's also an exception popup and the corresponding entry in the erorr log is listed below. Hope that helps.

Thanks

Dave

!ENTRY org.eclipse.jface 4 2 2019-08-15 15:04:52.587

!MESSAGE Problems occurred when invoking code from plug-in: "org.eclipse.jface".

!STACK 0

java.lang.IllegalArgumentException

at com.st.stm32cube.ide.mcu.debug.MCUDebugPlugin.fixFileURL(MCUDebugPlugin.java:187)

at com.st.stm32cube.ide.mcu.debug.openocd.engine.interpreter.MCUOpenOCDScriptInterpreter.run(MCUOpenOCDScriptInterpreter.java:91)

at com.st.stm32cube.ide.mcu.debug.openocd.OpenOCDDebugHardware.doOnOpenOcdScriptFileUpdate(OpenOCDDebugHardware.java:1525)

at com.st.stm32cube.ide.mcu.debug.openocd.OpenOCDDebugHardware.doUpdateOcdScriptFilePath(OpenOCDDebugHardware.java:1502)

at com.st.stm32cube.ide.mcu.debug.openocd.OpenOCDDebugHardware.doSetDefaultLocalOpenOcdScriptFile(OpenOCDDebugHardware.java:1667)

at com.st.stm32cube.ide.mcu.debug.openocd.OpenOCDDebugHardware.doOnScriptingModeUpdate(OpenOCDDebugHardware.java:1607)

at com.st.stm32cube.ide.mcu.debug.openocd.OpenOCDDebugHardware.doRunUiLogic(OpenOCDDebugHardware.java:1576)

at com.st.stm32cube.ide.mcu.debug.openocd.OpenOCDDebugHardware.initializeFrom(OpenOCDDebugHardware.java:992)

at com.st.stm32cube.ide.mcu.debug.launch.oss.ui.DebuggerTab.initializeFrom(DebuggerTab.java:382)

at org.eclipse.debug.ui.AbstractLaunchConfigurationTabGroup.initializeFrom(AbstractLaunchConfigurationTabGroup.java:93)

at org.eclipse.debug.internal.ui.launchConfigurations.LaunchConfigurationTabGroupWrapper.initializeFrom(LaunchConfigurationTabGroupWrapper.java:204)

at org.eclipse.debug.internal.ui.launchConfigurations.LaunchConfigurationTabGroupViewer.displayInstanceTabs(LaunchConfigurationTabGroupViewer.java:875)

at org.eclipse.debug.internal.ui.launchConfigurations.LaunchConfigurationTabGroupViewer.lambda$4(LaunchConfigurationTabGroupViewer.java:736)

at org.eclipse.swt.custom.BusyIndicator.showWhile(BusyIndicator.java:72)

at org.eclipse.debug.internal.ui.launchConfigurations.LaunchConfigurationTabGroupViewer.inputChanged(LaunchConfigurationTabGroupViewer.java:751)

at org.eclipse.debug.internal.ui.launchConfigurations.LaunchConfigurationTabGroupViewer.setInput0(LaunchConfigurationTabGroupViewer.java:683)

at org.eclipse.debug.internal.ui.launchConfigurations.LaunchConfigurationTabGroupViewer.setInput(LaunchConfigurationTabGroupViewer.java:663)

at org.eclipse.debug.internal.ui.launchConfigurations.LaunchConfigurationsDialog.handleLaunchConfigurationSelectionChanged(LaunchConfigurationsDialog.java:1050)

at org.eclipse.debug.internal.ui.launchConfigurations.LaunchConfigurationsDialog$4.selectionChanged(LaunchConfigurationsDialog.java:617)

at org.eclipse.jface.viewers.StructuredViewer$3.run(StructuredViewer.java:874)

at org.eclipse.core.runtime.SafeRunner.run(SafeRunner.java:45)

at org.eclipse.ui.internal.JFaceUtil.lambda$0(JFaceUtil.java:47)

at org.eclipse.jface.util.SafeRunnable.run(SafeRunnable.java:176)

at org.eclipse.jface.viewers.StructuredViewer.firePostSelectionChanged(StructuredViewer.java:871)

at org.eclipse.jface.viewers.StructuredViewer.setSelection(StructuredViewer.java:1719)

at org.eclipse.jface.viewers.TreeViewer.setSelection(TreeViewer.java:1084)

at org.eclipse.jface.viewers.Viewer.setSelection(Viewer.java:376)

at org.eclipse.debug.internal.ui.launchConfigurations.LaunchConfigurationsDialog.doInitialTreeSelection(LaunchConfigurationsDialog.java:662)

at org.eclipse.debug.internal.ui.launchConfigurations.LaunchConfigurationsDialog.initializeContent(LaunchConfigurationsDialog.java:1186)

at org.eclipse.debug.internal.ui.launchConfigurations.LaunchConfigurationsDialog.createContents(LaunchConfigurationsDialog.java:473)

at org.eclipse.jface.window.Window.create(Window.java:431)

at org.eclipse.jface.dialogs.Dialog.create(Dialog.java:1099)

at org.eclipse.debug.internal.ui.launchConfigurations.LaunchConfigurationsDialog.create(LaunchConfigurationsDialog.java:378)

at org.eclipse.jface.window.Window.open(Window.java:788)

at org.eclipse.debug.internal.ui.launchConfigurations.LaunchConfigurationsDialog.open(LaunchConfigurationsDialog.java:1239)

at org.eclipse.debug.ui.DebugUITools.lambda$1(DebugUITools.java:631)

at org.eclipse.swt.custom.BusyIndicator.showWhile(BusyIndicator.java:72)

at org.eclipse.debug.ui.DebugUITools.openLaunchConfigurationDialogOnGroup(DebugUITools.java:637)

at org.eclipse.debug.ui.DebugUITools.openLaunchConfigurationDialogOnGroup(DebugUITools.java:575)

at org.eclipse.debug.ui.actions.OpenLaunchDialogAction.run(OpenLaunchDialogAction.java:85)

at org.eclipse.debug.ui.actions.OpenLaunchDialogAction.runWithEvent(OpenLaunchDialogAction.java:94)

at org.eclipse.ui.internal.PluginAction.runWithEvent(PluginAction.java:240)

at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WWinPluginAction.runWithEvent(WWinPluginAction.java:230)

at org.eclipse.jface.action.ActionContributionItem.handleWidgetSelection(ActionContributionItem.java:568)

at org.eclipse.jface.action.ActionContributionItem.lambda$4(ActionContributionItem.java:400)

at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.EventTable.sendEvent(EventTable.java:89)

at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.sendEvent(Display.java:4131)

at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Widget.java:1055)

at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.runDeferredEvents(Display.java:3944)

at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.readAndDispatch(Display.java:3547)

at org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.swt.PartRenderingEngine$5.run(PartRenderingEngine.java:1173)

at org.eclipse.core.databinding.observable.Realm.runWithDefault(Realm.java:338)

at org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.swt.PartRenderingEngine.run(PartRenderingEngine.java:1062)

at org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.E4Workbench.createAndRunUI(E4Workbench.java:155)

at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.lambda$3(Workbench.java:644)

at org.eclipse.core.databinding.observable.Realm.runWithDefault(Realm.java:338)

at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.createAndRunWorkbench(Workbench.java:566)

at org.eclipse.ui.PlatformUI.createAndRunWorkbench(PlatformUI.java:150)

at org.eclipse.ui.internal.ide.application.IDEApplication.start(IDEApplication.java:155)

at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.app.EclipseAppHandle.run(EclipseAppHandle.java:203)

at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.runApplication(EclipseAppLauncher.java:137)

at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.start(EclipseAppLauncher.java:107)

at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:400)

at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:255)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)

at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)

at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498)

at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.invokeFramework(Main.java:661)

at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:597)

at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:1476)