cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to config the STUSB4700 with 20V/5A channel

jebert
Associate

I would like to use the STUSB4700 for a powerbank application which can deliver 100W.

In datasheet it says that the STUSB4700 can deliver 100W (20V/5A)

But the factory configuration is only 20V/3A and it is possible to change it over I²C to 20V/5A

That means that I Need the I²C interface once to config this channel.

Is there any other possibility to config the source to 20V/5A that I don't need the I²C interface?

For examle to buy the IC with 20V/5A configuration?

And can somebody tell me the difference between the STUSB4700 and STUSB4710​

1 REPLY 1
Benoit FORET
ST Employee

Hello,

This is correct that STUSB4700 can be configured to negotiate 100W. Please note that this configuration can be used for captive cable implementation only, as per USB PD standard, the SOURCE is responsible for checking USB cable current capability (by default cable sustain 3A, only some EMCA cable can support 5A). STUSB4700/10 are not capable to do so. A new product will be introduced in September with such embedded feature. Please contact your ST sales office for more information. In the meantime, let me recommend Wurth Elektronik USB-C development kit. It contains a 100W DC/DC source demo, based on non-standalone controller, but MCU solution (STM32+STUSB1602). This solution does implement 5A EMCA cable recognition.

STUSB4710 is default solution, 16 pins package, effective for simple implementations.

STUSB4700 is recommended for multi-port implementation, implementing interrupts for easier MCU communications.

rgds,

Benoit