cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help writing a simple blink sketch

deep_rune
Associate III

Hi, I'm trying to write a simple blink sketch using an STM32F4(07) discovery board, CubeMX and Atollic truestudio. I can't find any walkthrough guides which cover this exact constellation of products, so I'm trying to mix and match and I can't get my code to build properly.

I used the cubeMX program to select pd12-15 as GPIO output and then the debug in sys mode to debug wire (i'm assuming this is appropriate for my discovery board?). The clock configuration seems to be set so I can't alter it (I'm guessing because i've chosen the discovery board which has default settings?) I don't know what to do with the tools section, I just left it blank. I select truestudio in the toolchain/IDE section and open the project.

This creates a project with a lot of stuff that I have no idea about contained within it. it is much more complicated than the code snippet recommended in this tutorial - http://embeddedsystemengineering.blogspot.com/2015/02/stm32f4-discovery-tutorial-1-simple-led.html which is very simple and easy to understand. Instead I get this -

#include "main.h"

void SystemClock_Config(void);
static void MX_GPIO_Init(void);

int main(void)
{

/* Reset of all peripherals, Initializes the Flash interface and the Systick. */
  HAL_Init();

/* Configure the system clock */
  SystemClock_Config();

/* Initialize all configured peripherals */
  MX_GPIO_Init();

while (1)
  {

}
}

void SystemClock_Config(void)
{
  RCC_OscInitTypeDef RCC_OscInitStruct = {0};
  RCC_ClkInitTypeDef RCC_ClkInitStruct = {0};

/** Configure the main internal regulator output voltage
  */
  __HAL_RCC_PWR_CLK_ENABLE();
  __HAL_PWR_VOLTAGESCALING_CONFIG(PWR_REGULATOR_VOLTAGE_SCALE1);
  /** Initializes the CPU, AHB and APB busses clocks
  */
  RCC_OscInitStruct.OscillatorType = RCC_OSCILLATORTYPE_HSI;
  RCC_OscInitStruct.HSIState = RCC_HSI_ON;
  RCC_OscInitStruct.HSICalibrationValue = RCC_HSICALIBRATION_DEFAULT;
  RCC_OscInitStruct.PLL.PLLState = RCC_PLL_NONE;
  if (HAL_RCC_OscConfig(&RCC_OscInitStruct) != HAL_OK)
  {
    Error_Handler();
  }
  /** Initializes the CPU, AHB and APB busses clocks
  */
  RCC_ClkInitStruct.ClockType = RCC_CLOCKTYPE_HCLK|RCC_CLOCKTYPE_SYSCLK
                              |RCC_CLOCKTYPE_PCLK1|RCC_CLOCKTYPE_PCLK2;
  RCC_ClkInitStruct.SYSCLKSource = RCC_SYSCLKSOURCE_HSI;
  RCC_ClkInitStruct.AHBCLKDivider = RCC_SYSCLK_DIV1;
  RCC_ClkInitStruct.APB1CLKDivider = RCC_HCLK_DIV1;
  RCC_ClkInitStruct.APB2CLKDivider = RCC_HCLK_DIV1;

if (HAL_RCC_ClockConfig(&RCC_ClkInitStruct, FLASH_LATENCY_0) != HAL_OK)
  {
    Error_Handler();
  }
}

static void MX_GPIO_Init(void)
{
  GPIO_InitTypeDef GPIO_InitStruct = {0};

/* GPIO Ports Clock Enable */
  __HAL_RCC_GPIOD_CLK_ENABLE();
  __HAL_RCC_GPIOA_CLK_ENABLE();

/*Configure GPIO pin Output Level */
  HAL_GPIO_WritePin(GPIOD, GPIO_PIN_12|GPIO_PIN_13|GPIO_PIN_14|GPIO_PIN_15, GPIO_PIN_RESET);

/*Configure GPIO pins : PD12 PD13 PD14 PD15 */
  GPIO_InitStruct.Pin = GPIO_PIN_12|GPIO_PIN_13|GPIO_PIN_14|GPIO_PIN_15;
  GPIO_InitStruct.Mode = GPIO_MODE_OUTPUT_PP;
  GPIO_InitStruct.Pull = GPIO_NOPULL;
  GPIO_InitStruct.Speed = GPIO_SPEED_FREQ_LOW;
  HAL_GPIO_Init(GPIOD, &GPIO_InitStruct);

}

void Error_Handler(void)
{
  /* USER CODE BEGIN Error_Handler_Debug */
  /* User can add his own implementation to report the HAL error return state */

/* USER CODE END Error_Handler_Debug */
}

#ifdef  USE_FULL_ASSERT
/**
  * @brief  Reports the name of the source file and the source line number
  *         where the assert_param error has occurred.
  * @param  file: pointer to the source file name
  * @param  line: assert_param error line source number
  * @retval None
  */
void assert_failed(uint8_t *file, uint32_t line)
{
  /* USER CODE BEGIN 6 */
  /* User can add his own implementation to report the file name and line number,
     tex: printf("Wrong parameters value: file %s on line %d\r\n", file, line) */
  /* USER CODE END 6 */
}
#endif /* USE_FULL_ASSERT */

Which i almost understand, but I don't know how the code in the other example built for the same discovery board (although with a different IDE) can be so simple in comparison. Nevertheless, this code does not compile - trueStudio says "fatal error: arm_math.h: no such file or directory" Which I don't understand because a) i don't know why I need math.h (it's not called anywhere in the program) and b) if I follow the dropdown boxes in the left bar I can go in to drivers>CMSIS>DSP>source>BasicMathFunctions> arm_shift_q15.c and math.h is listed under there, all of these foldeers are highlighted by a red 'x' in a box, but the compiler can't seem to find the file which I can see following those links??

I also tried to paste the code from the simpler example (from the link above) but this also creates an error.

can anyone help me out?

2 REPLIES 2
Amel NASRI
ST Employee

Hi @deep_rune​ ,

There is a step by step tutorial that can help you to blink a led on your board.

It is the step 2 of the list of tutorials in STM32 step by step.

Although the example is based on STM32L4 board, but it is applicable for the board you selected.

-Amel

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

joemccarr
Senior

Look at the complied html help file for the HAL and LL drivers (HAL, LL routines) I find using the LL drivers a good way to learn the chip. There a functions like

HAL_toggle(GPIOA, GPIO_PIN_5) that you can use to toggle an LED (just put it in your while loop along with a HAL_delay(1000) to toggle the LED.

You may have to check my syntax on those functions above.

I might be easier for you to start with arduino environment. ST has created a core for that board. You can use arduino language to program the chip. Whats nice is

that you have access to HAL and LL drivers so you can get familiar with the using non-arduino functions.