cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Raspbian, Python, and TkInter

RNama
Associate II

I am working on a product. For prototype, I have used Raspberry Pi 3 B+ with Raspbian operating system and firmware in Python 3. For GUI, I used TkInter library. For mass production, I am trying to figure a cost-effective option, and I came across STM32WB series. I am wondering if STM32WB micro controllers (or any ST micro controllers) support the following:

• Raspberry o/s
  • Python 3
  • TkInter GUI library

Please advise.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
RNama
Associate II
7 REPLIES 7

It is not running Linux, it is a relatively small micro-controller, might cram MicroPython on it

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
RNama
Associate II

Are there any other boards with ST micro controller and support Raspbian operating system?

Piranha
Chief II

Raspbian = Raspberry Pi + Debian. It is made for particular boards, not everything!

And Linux, Python, TkInter and such things are not for Cortex-M and other microcontrollers, but for Cortex-A and other powerful cores with MMU, like STM32MP1, which is not a microcontroller.

RNama
Associate II

Thanks, Clive for your response.

We do not need Raspbian. It is okay to any free or open source o/s that supports Python and TkInter.

If we are to go with Cortex-A or similar powerful MMUs, do you recommend a specific board that meets our requirements?

RNama
Associate II

ST released a few development boards. For example, the one below:

https://www.st.com/resource/en/data_brief/stm32mp157a-dk1.pdf

It looks like this one comes with a touchscreen?

Supports Linux?

Do you think this supports my requirements of running Python with TkInter GUI library?

RNama
Associate II

It looks like it may support Python 3 and TkInter:

https://wiki.st.com/stm32mpu/wiki/OpenSTLinux_licenses_-_v1.0.0

Hi @RNama​ 

Thanks for your interest in STM32MP1

The STM32MP157A-DK1 board doesn't have touch screen nor Wifi/Bluetooth.

STM32MP157C-DK2 board have both.

Indeed, OpenSTLinux distribution support Python 3 and Tkinter.

Olivier

Olivier GALLIEN
In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.