cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fast Hartley versus Fast Fourier?

gregstm
Senior II

I’m doing some frequency analysis - as usual I trying to minimise the processing cycles to minimise current consumption. 

I’ve only just discovered the Fast Hartley Transform (FHT). It seems pretty good ( and simple) - I wonder why it is not more widely used? Anyway, maybe others can give it a go - here is the info to get started:

I got the Pascal version of the FHT from the following document-

“OPTIMIZED FAST HARTLEY TRANSFORM FOR THE MC68000 WITH APPLICATIONS IN IMAGE PROCESSING A THESIS SUBMITTED TO THE FACULTY IN PARTIAL FULFILLMENT OF THE REQUIREMENTS FOR THE DEGREE OF MASTER OF SCIENCE BY

A. ARLO REEVES�?

On page 93 there is a Pascal program under the following title-

“DFHT - DFHT is a high level implementation of the FHT, included here for those who want more than just assembly source. .....�?

The program is easily converted to C , and the routine is compact enough to convert into a single assembly language routine . My first attempt with the Cortex-M4 (using F32 with the FPU) resulted in a routine that uses 104, 000 cycles for a 1024 point FHT- much faster than my attempts using a radix2 FFT. Moving to fixed point arithmetic later will give even more savings.

However for testing the above FHT program, the following two routines are needed - one for converting the output of the FHT into amplitudes, and the other routine for converting the output of the FHT to the same output as from a normal FFT. You can use the output data from these routines (using pseudo random input) to verify your program against the output of an online FFT tool. I found the following one very useful - http://scistatcalc.blogspot.com/2013/12/fft-calculator.html

procedure map_to_fourier;

var

i, n_minus_i : integer;

begin

for i := 0 to maxN - 1 do

begin

if i = 0 then

n_minus_i := 0

else

n_minus_i := maxN - i;

reals [ i ] := ( x[ i ] + x[ n_minus_i ]) / 2;

imags [ i ] := - ( x[ i ] - x[ n_minus_i ]) / 2;