cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a workaround for importing an existing STMCubeMX .ioc file?

Jim Seymour
Senior

According to the "known issues" post, importing an existing .ioc file from STMCubeMX is currently unsupported.

I'm starting a new project and would like to use the IDE for this - but my engineer designed the product using CubeMX.

Is there any kind of workaround for this?

As I see it, my options are:

1) manually recreate his work

2) keep using the "old" tools (CubeMX & Keil compiler)

Not sure which would be "better".

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Herve PIERROT
ST Employee

you can also open your project with latest CubeMX and regenerate your project for STM32CubeIDE

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
Pavel A.
Evangelist III

It looks like your engineer is experienced and knows what he does. Perhaps, discuss this together and give him a chance to convince you.

Newer is not always better (unless creating the new tools is your job, of course =)

-- pa

Herve PIERROT
ST Employee

you can also open your project with latest CubeMX and regenerate your project for STM32CubeIDE

Ah! Now we're getting somewhere... Are there instructions on how to do this somewhere?

Thanks.

Herve PIERROT
ST Employee

in original message, you said the project was created for Keil with STM32CubeMX. In the project setting in STM32CubeMX, you just need to change the target IDE from Keil to STM32CubeIDE.

Oh. That makes sense. I was flailing around in the "File" section looking for some kind of export...

Thanks!

@Jim Seymour​  Please let us know if this actually works in your case, and if so exactly which versions/tools you started with and upgraded to.

Many of us have been unable to import an existing IOC file and/or have had existing project file and code trashed by regenerating code.

Thanks!

No luck so far. I managed to create the project from CubeMX - but I haven't figured out how to open it (or import it) into CubeIDE, yet.

The process seemed to create some folders (Src, Inc, Middleware, Drivers) along with a single file called .mxproject.

But I've not been able to figure out how to open (or import) this project into the IDE.

I'll keep flailing...

I faced similar issue recently... is the name of the folder that contain the .ioc file is the same than the .ioc file itself (without the .ioc extension) ?

By default, STM32CubeMX create such structure but if you copy your project, you may have change the folder name.

If that's the case, then STM32CubeMX will continue to generate the eclipse files .project and .cproject in a folder one level higher than the .ioc file, in a folder having the name of the .ioc file. Please check if you have such folder created.

To fix that, just rename the .ioc file to match the folder name (hope it is clear...).

This is a bug that has already been reported to the dev team.

I don't think this is my problem. My .ioc file was named "STM_Cube.ioc" and the folder it was located in was named for our customer.

I just renamed the file and tried again a few times, but always get the same result: It creates a file called .mxproject and the folders Src, Inc, Middleware, and Drivers.

I also noticed that in the "Template Settings" (under Project Manager / Code Generator), there are no templates listed. Is this normal?