cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VEML6075 UVA UVB sensor obsolete already?

BBoye
Associate

This VEML6075 looks fantastic for UVA, UVB, and UV Index sensing, but after release in 2016 is already marked obsolete? Why? I can't find any explanation. Are there any suggested alternatives? I can't find any in some extensive web searching.

10 REPLIES 10
BRYAN SPEED
Senior

maybe Vishay can answer 🙂

DJohn.19
Associate

We would like to know more about this as well. I work for a company that builds a full spectrum light sensor and we were looking forward to adding the VEML6075 to our next product line.

BRYAN SPEED
Senior

maybe ST should start making this part to comepete with Vishay 🙂

BRYAN SPEED
Senior

*compete LOL stupid keyboard.

My guess is that it was built for a specific application or client, and that customer has 18-24 month life cycles.

Hey if you like it, and it works well, buy a warehouse full and arbitrage the stuff you don't need yourself.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

http://www.vishay.com/search?query=+VEML6075&searchChoice=part

Looks like they may have updated parts available.

BBoye
Associate

I have received official word that Vishay is EOL-ing the VEML6075. They have extended the last time buy but distis such as Digikey and Mouser don't have any and don't report any on order. Digikey today reports a ship date of 2020 Jan 10, whatever that means (If I order some they will ship then?). I also don't understand how an ST Micro part became a Vishay part. Vishay has licensed other parts from ST Micro so maybe this is such a case. Siliconix is 80% owned by Vishay. Mouser lists the "Vishay/Siliconix VEML6075-SB" which is also EOL. Bottom line is Vishay is making some more but last time buy date is sometime in 2019 Q3: I was told "a few weeks" in an email July 16, and you have to order a full reel. I can find no alternative parts which sense both UVA and UVB and Vishay agrees. I just wish they weren't giving up so easily.

DJohn.19
Associate

Disappointing, but good to have official word. Thanks, bboyes.

I've been looking into the SI1133 sensor with renewed interest. It appears to have two UV photodiodes, one marked "UV" and the other "UV-deep". I think these may correspond with UVA and UVB, but I'm not sure. At the end of the day, the SI1133 promises to calculate UV Index, which requires separating UVA and UVB so that a standardized weighted curve can be applied to the radiant energy. At the very least, it has a "blue" photodiode at 460nm and a "UV" photodiode at 310nm. It may be possible they are calculating UVA from UVB based on these two.

raptorhal2
Lead

Post deleted