cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Porting to STM32MP1: Ethernet and other Peripherals

Tom Moulton
Associate II

I am not using Linux.

Is the peripheral set used on the STM32MP1 brand new or imported from another STM32 Family?

Tom

4 REPLIES 4
PatrickF
ST Employee

Many peripherals come from STM32F4, STM32F7 and STM32H7 family, with some updates.

Obviously, this is not true for peripherals which are different to support extended features of STM32MP1 family (e.g. ETH, GIC, BSEC, FMC, GPU, USBH, USBPHYC, DDRCTRL, DDRPHYC, etc..).

If a peripheral driver is not available in CubeMP1 (which can be usually ported to A7), it is up to you to manage the SW.

We do not provide SW support for A7 bare metal.

Maybe AN5253 could help.

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

The App Note AN5253 appears to focus on the M4 side only.

"We do not provide SW support for A7 bare metal"

So it seems the A7 support is limited to Linux? That is disappointing.

Tom

When I mean 'support' is that ST we did not offer SW solution outside Linux.

Some OpenOS are planned for STM32MP1 family, there is for instance 3rd party which will port Android.

Cortex-A7 bare metal is not avoided by the HW (TF-A and u-Boot stages are obviously not using Linux) and some customers started development for A7 bare-metal on their side.

Only the GPU is likely not usable outside an OpenOS as requiring libraries not provided in source code.

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

I understand and I am saying it is disappointing that Cube/HAL does not provide support for much of anything on the A7 side.

I created a project with Cube for get STM32MP157C-DK2 using the default initialization and the only peripheral that Cube had A7 driver support for was SPI, Everything else said no support but it could be configured "Manually"

If the HAL drivers were provided for the A7 core then making a Board Support Package for most any Third Party OS would be a manageable effort, but having to start from scratch turns it into a 6mo to a year effort.

We are using a wide range of STM32 in our products and have been pleased with Cube and HAL as we very rarely find issues that cause road blocks.

Yes I understand that non-Linux may be a small market for Cortex-A Cores, but it is still disappointing since we have come accustomed to ST providing complete coverage of HAL support in all out other applications.