cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Manage Embedded Software Packages, Check for updates not enabled

Adam Hamilton
Associate III

If I create an empty project instead of a Cube project, the options to manage the embedded software packages are grayed out and I therefore cannot install any SDK for the MCU.

My only workaround is to create a dummy Cube project so I can download the necessary SDK, or use the CubeMX standalone software.

I would like to file this as a bug.

Also, on a similar note, when creating a new project (non Cube) - it would be nice if the required CMSIS files were added to the project

2 REPLIES 2
hansd56
Senior II

Hi there, I think STM32CubeIDE is made to be used with CubeMX. There is an option to create an empty project and CubeMX creates it and disapears. All required files (CMSIS and drivers) have to be included by the user. There is always the option to download the SDK for an particular MCU.

By CubeMX, are you talking about the stand-alone configurator tool or the eclipse plugin?

If I choose new STM32Project, there are two Targeted Type Projects

• STM32Cube
  • Empty

Choosing the STM32Cube will definitely download the Cube SDK package but like I said, this project type I would use as a workaround to get the SDK in the first place.

Choosing the Empty project type generates several files

• main.c
  • syscalls.c
  • sysmem.c

I would of at least hoped that the Check for Updates and Manage Embedded Software Packages in the Help menu would be enabled. What would also be nice is if the New Project Wizard allowed you to choose a Cube package for the Empty project type so that it could then the appropriate device specific header files and the core CMSIS files can be copied across with the include paths properly set up for C/C++ project types.

I have done this manually and it isn't fun.

I would have assumed that Atollic TrueStudio, being acquired by ST, had a pretty solid code base and leveraging this and integrating the Cube eclipse plug in would have been the way to go.

I'll try another way that I thought of. Choose the STM32Cube project, prune the HAL drivers and other files that get generated, modify the build option not to use the HAL and hope that my main.c will not be overwritten - might be easier than setting up include paths manually and copying the required files.

Thanks anyway for lending a hand 🙂

Regards

Adam