cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

There seems to be some conflicting information in the VL53L1X API documentation regarding min timing values for 'Timing Budget' and 'Inter Measurement Period'.

Julien NGUYEN
ST Employee

The general API user guide, UM2356 (rev 2), says that the min timing budget is 20ms, but the ultra-lite driver guide, UM2510 (rev2), says 15ms is the minimum. I've tested with 15ms (I'm using the ULD) and it seems to work fine, but just wanted to make sure that is within the recommended operating range.

Similarly, for the inter-measurement period (IMP), the two guides give different info. The ULD guide says the min is greater than or equal to the timing budget, whereas the generic guide says it must be at least the timing budget + 4ms. Wondering which one is correct? The ULD also further confuses matters by showing a timing diagram that seems to indicate the 'get ranging data' and 'clear interrupt' operations occur after the timing budget has expired. So it seems that if I want to run multiple sensors on the same I2C bus (which I do), I might need to take into account that extra time before I can move on to the next sensor? Is that where the extra 4ms is coming from?

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
1 REPLY 1
Julien NGUYEN
ST Employee

​Hi,

There are two APIs for the VL53L1X ToF : first version STSW-IMG007 and second version STSW-IMG009.

STSW-IMG007 supports 20 ms minimum timing budget and required an overhead of 4ms between the Inter-measurement period and the timing budget.

STSW-IMG009 supports 15 ms minimum timing budget no overhead is required.

In case you run multiple devices there is no need to add the overhead. The next ranging starts immediately once the inter-measurement period is completed. To enable the next interrupt event a clear interrupt needs to be issued after a get ranging data.

Regards,

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.