cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VL53L1X overshoot?

Julien NGUYEN
ST Employee

VL53L1X overshoot?

In my initial testing with the VL53L1X, I'm seeing that by rotating the sensor from directly facing an object to facing the ceiling, which is well over the max distance away (I'm operating in 'short' mode, so that should be 1.3m), I get spikes up to about 1.8m at the max acceleration points - when I stop rotating the PCB, and when I start rotating it again. Is this kind of 'overshoot' normal? Interestingly, I observe it with 100ms timing budget/inter-measurement period, but not with 15ms (see attached graphs).

link: https://community.st.com/s/question/0D50X0000AqqOzI/vl53l1x-overshoot?s1oid=00Db0000000YtG6&OpenCommentForEdit=1&s1nid=0DB0X000000DYbd&emkind=chatterPostNotification&s1uid=005b0000001s1yU&emtm=1559063592550&fromEmail=1&s1ext=0

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
1 REPLY 1
Julien NGUYEN
ST Employee

​Hi,

You got a measured distance of 1.8 m but you should also get range status = 4, so the measured distance should be not considered as valid. Please confirm the range status returned by the device when you got the spike (1.8m).

Regards 

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.