cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32H7 dual core and ST-Link V2 V3 compatibility

fft
Associate II

Just got my STM32H745 DISCO today. I notice ST uses ST-Link V3 on all dual core boards. Does ST-Link V2 still work for dual core lines? I searched around on ST website and could not find any answers. Beers provided for anyone giving a hint 😉

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Uwe Bonnes
Principal II

Back to the original question: "Does ST-Link V2 still work for dual core lines? " Replace "still" by "with recent firmware" and the answer is yes.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Not sure. The V3 is definitely faster, and can individually talk to each core based on the newer SWD protocol. Would need to double check if the V2 allows for this in the STM32 Cube Programmer with newer firmware.

I do know you have to be aware of the higher clocking rate when computing the SWV baud rate. In one of the test systems the clock was 15 MHz rather than 2 MHz.

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

As a point of note the older H7 parts only exposed a single core, but had two, and the old ST-LINKs talked to the CM7 one with no issues, so should be able to program the devices.​

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

Thanks Clive. V3 does perform a lot better on my test run. Problem is it is implemented with an F7 chip, which is like costing a fortune in some case. I hope the granny F1 v2 still work like you said, at least for the CM7. I just ordered converter and cable to give it a try. Any more inputs on the subject will be very welcomed.

fft
Associate II

Alright, got my tag-connect cable today and use a standalone ST-Link V2 to debug H745 Disco. It does show two cores. V2 works! Just much slower. Anyway, I am happy.

Uwe Bonnes
Principal II

The M7 in the H745 has controll over the M4, In the H7 Disco application, the M4 is only visible when the EMBC application is running.

mckenney
Senior

AC6 wins(!).

Atollic and CubeIDE prevented me from using my H745-DISCO, I don't have IAR, and I couldn't find enough pieces to do it all in bare Eclipse, but I tried sw4stm32 v2.9 and I was blinking LEDs (both cores) in two hours.

It does dual-core build, ST-Link/V3 (DISCO native) and dual-core debug. Even openOCD runs with no fiddling. Apparently AC6 has had this since April.

Uwe Bonnes
Principal II

Back to the original question: "Does ST-Link V2 still work for dual core lines? " Replace "still" by "with recent firmware" and the answer is yes.