cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Product serial numbering

Raggio
Associate III

Hello everyone,

I want to add a device unique ID (a uint16_t progressive counter that identify my device as a whole, not only the mcu used) at programming time to a stm32f446 based product.

Is there a standard known standard way to do this?

Maybe it’s a naive questione, but i can only find documentation on the UUID, that’s not what i’m trying to use.

Thank you!

2 REPLIES 2
Ozone
Lead

> Is there a standard known standard way to do this?

Not that I know of.

The application area of you product might have some standards in this regard, but otherwise you are free to do as you please.

> I want to add a device unique ID (a uint16_t progressive counter that identify my device as a whole, ...

Sixteen bit seems not very much, are you sure ?

BTW, the actual "application" of such a serial number is not as trivial as at first glance.

Either you patch the prograaming file (Hex file) each time, or add an addition programming step (station) in production.

And you probably want to keep track of this serial numbers in relation to other properties, like MCU unique ID, production date/time, operator, product test results, repair status, custom order, etc.

In other words, database management.

Kraal
Senior III

Hi there !

If you buy / have a production programmer like the Segger Flasher, it can automatically insert a serial number from 1 to 4 bytes in size and you can set the flash address of where to insert it. This is the simplest way (not the cheapest, for sure) that I can see.