cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TouchGFX + CubeMX + CubeIDE integration problems - please help

zak83
Associate II

Hi everyone,

I would be extremely grateful if someone help me to move forward.

I have a STM32F469I-DISCO board and I want to make a simple HMI with few screens. Problem I am having is that I am unable to create project that allows me to use three pieces of software (in topic).

I tried to follow Martin KJELDSEN video on 746G-DISCO but since I don't know what are correct MX settings for 469I board I get stuck.

I have already spent like month trying to move forward and I only managed to use Visual Studio to edit gui files and be able to run simulator to see the HMI. But if I wanted to edit back-end of the application I need the CubeIDE.

I am brand new to STM / ARMs, Eclipse and Touch GFX so this definitely doesn't help.

Is there a step by step guide on how to create project?

Or maybe someone has a template project created in CubeIDE for 469I-DISCO board?

Thank you very much in advance.

Zak83

26 REPLIES 26
Martin KJELDSEN
Chief III

Hi Zak,

If you want to get started quick, choose the STM32F469-DISCO Application Template from the TouchGFX designer. It works, but does not have a CubeMX .ioc file. It is based on Cube Firmware drivers, of course, but any change you make is by hand. We've prioritized working on the current issues with integration between touchgfx and cubemx (And now CubeIDE too) rather than creating .ioc files for all boards - That'll come, though.

Hope that helps.

/Martin

Hi Zak, Martin,

I've also been trying to setup a working CubeIDE configuration for the STM32F469-DISCO board and encountered similar problems. Being a novice in this area I was making little to no progress so decided to try the suggestion in this tread. I appreciate this is probably any easy task for most but I'm still struggling to get a working build, let me explain what I have done:

1) Used the STM32F469-DISCO application target from the TouchGfx designer.

2) Created an empty project in CubeIDE from (makefile project from existing code) that points to the projected created in step 1.

3) Selected 'Build project' but get the following errors

'wc' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.
Converting images
Compiling gui/src/screen1_screen/Screen1Presenter.cpp
The syntax of the command is incorrect.
target/gcc/Makefile:333: recipe for target 'build/ST/STM32469IDISCO/gui/src/screen1_screen/Screen1Presenter.o' failed
make[2]: *** [build/ST/STM32469IDISCO/gui/src/screen1_screen/Screen1Presenter.o] Error 1
target/gcc/Makefile:300: recipe for target 'generate_assets' failed
make[1]: *** [generate_assets] Error 2
target/gcc/Makefile:42: recipe for target 'all' failed
make: *** [all] Error 2

This is the build settings for the project

0690X000008iqwuQAA.png

Have I missed a step?

Also will I be able to use the debug option to step through the code when deployed on the target?

Thanks

Robin

OK Resolved make errors just need to update the version of make used by CubeIDE but not sure how to setup debug settings?

Just try "Debug as STM32 Application" - The project should know about the STM32 device type.

Thanks Martin,

The mistake I made was to create an empty project once I created a project based on STM32 the debugger attached and worked! 😁

I have included a link to the my test project on GitHub it's a bit rough and ready and you will need to update make. I copied the make.exe from TouchGfx into the folder used by CubeIde (probably not the recommended way).

https://github.com/Scubaboy/SMT32F7LCDDisco/tree/master/STMF4DiscoLCD

This might be useful for others I have been able to put together a working CubeIDE STM32F469I-DISCO LCD and touch solution. Had to modify quite alot of the hal auto generated code.

https://github.com/Scubaboy/SMT32F7LCDDisco/tree/master/STMF4DISCOCubeIDE

Hi Scuba,

Good job! I've also been working on the same in an attempt to weed out issues there may be with generating working projects for various boards (right now they don't even compile). Going to a workshop next week as an intensive effort to fix some of these issues on the spot and i'll definitely take a look at your project and compare with my own.

/Martin

@Martin KJELDSEN​ I based my investigation on a working project generated from the ToughGfx designer application and compared the board configuration of both for differences.

I did notice that the project generated using CubeIDE mixed both 16 & 24 bpp so I standardised on 24bpp in my project. Once I'd corrected the bpp and a few pin configurations the displayed worked!

Its been a good learning process.

It makes me happy that you feel that way, haha. Maybe i'll try telling that to people who show more frustration than gratitude 🙂

Thanks for your observations. In which parts was it 16 and which was it 24 for you?

/Martin