cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32WB FUS update fail from 1.0.1 to 1.0.2

janis_sk
Associate II

I had STM32WB55CGU7 chips with original factory FUS version 0.5.3. I upgraded it to version 1.0.1 successfully, then I tried to upgrade to latest released version 1.0.2, but I get "Error: Firmware not authentic!"

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Remi QUINTIN
ST Employee

Here is a bit of clarification.

V1.0.1

First official release available on st.com and dedicated to STM32WB5xG devices only (1MB flash size)

This version shall not be installed on STM32WB5xE/5xC devices, otherwise device would enter a locked state and no further updates are possible.

V1.0.2

First official release available on st.com and dedicated to STM32WB5xE/5xC devices (512KB and 256KB flash size)

V1.0.2 can be installed on STM32WB5xG devices if they present FUS V0.5.3.

If an STM32WB5xG device has FUS V1.0.1, then there is no need to upgrade to V1.0.2, since it doesn't bring any new feature/change vs. V1.0.1.

In case FUS V1.0.2 installation is started by user on an STM32WB5xG device with FUS V1.0.1, FUS will return FUS_STATE_IMG_NOT_AUTHENTIC error

and discard the upgrade.

So please check the device version you're working with. This mayhelp to undestand the issue.

For the  STM32WB55CGU7 version, the bold sentence applies => no need to upgrade from V1.0.1 to V1.0.2.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
MP123
Associate III

I have the same problem with one of my three dev kits. ​

janis_sk
Associate II

I have suspicion that 1.0.2 is encrypted with key that was only in 0.5.3. So only update 0.5.3 to 1.0.2 works. Hope, ST, can clarify this.

Remi QUINTIN
ST Employee

Here is a bit of clarification.

V1.0.1

First official release available on st.com and dedicated to STM32WB5xG devices only (1MB flash size)

This version shall not be installed on STM32WB5xE/5xC devices, otherwise device would enter a locked state and no further updates are possible.

V1.0.2

First official release available on st.com and dedicated to STM32WB5xE/5xC devices (512KB and 256KB flash size)

V1.0.2 can be installed on STM32WB5xG devices if they present FUS V0.5.3.

If an STM32WB5xG device has FUS V1.0.1, then there is no need to upgrade to V1.0.2, since it doesn't bring any new feature/change vs. V1.0.1.

In case FUS V1.0.2 installation is started by user on an STM32WB5xG device with FUS V1.0.1, FUS will return FUS_STATE_IMG_NOT_AUTHENTIC error

and discard the upgrade.

So please check the device version you're working with. This mayhelp to undestand the issue.

For the  STM32WB55CGU7 version, the bold sentence applies => no need to upgrade from V1.0.1 to V1.0.2.

Remi QUINTIN
ST Employee

V0.5.3

Default version programmed in production for all STM32WB5xx devices.

Must be upgraded to V1.0.1 on STM32WB5xG devices or to V1.0.2 on STM32WB5xE/5xC devices.

This version is not available for download on st.com and can't be installed by users.

BoardSurfer
Associate II

It would be nice to have a better error message. This one implies the bin wasn't signed. Having wasted a few hours on this I can think of better ways to spend an afternoon.

Javier1
Principal

@Remi QUINTIN​ Here i am 2 years later v1.12.1 same error :( https://community.st.com/s/question/0D53W000013qLmwSAE/cubeprogrammer-firmware-upgrade-error-firmware-not-authentic-pnucleowb55

Non of my coprocessor fw updates work now... all of them throw a

Error: FUS_STATE_IMG_NOT_AUTHENTIC

• I never flashed tm32wb5x_FUS_fw_1_0_1.bin
  • boths fus and BLE full .bin throw the same error
Remi QUINTIN
ST Employee

Can you download all the option bytes from your board?

Did you erase the user part of the flash memory before loading the NEW FW it FUS?

Could you provide a log of the commands you use to program your board?

Remi QUINTIN
ST Employee

Please use CubeProgramer v2.8. It has new features.

It can read the FUS version even through the SWD port.

Goal is to understand which FUS version is currently on your board.

Remi QUINTIN
ST Employee

Is your issue related to another of your posts about the right process to update the FUS before flashing the FW stack?