cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to get custom STM32WB55 board to advertising state.

Louis Loving
Senior

I am using STM32Cube FW_WB V1.1.1 and built a new project.

I have programmed stm32wb5x_BLE_Stack_fw.bin into the memory space for CPU2 (0x80CB000).

I have added the following interrupt handlers:

void IPCC_C1_TX_IRQHandler(void)
{
  HW_IPCC_Tx_Handler();

return;
}

void IPCC_C1_RX_IRQHandler(void)
{
  HW_IPCC_Rx_Handler();
  return;
}

I have configured STM32_WPAN as follows:

0690X000008igDVQAY.png

My small application runs fine but I get no indication that the BLE is running at all. I am using ST BLE Sensor to scan but do not see my device.

Any pointers on where to look or what to check would be greatly appreciated.

-Louis

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Louis Loving
Senior

I had missed this step:

0690X000009XiV5QAK.png

Works great now.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Louis Loving
Senior

I see that the Release Notes for STM32WB Copro Wireless Binaries actually say to program stm32wb5x_BLE_Stack_fw.bin at 0x080CC000 so I have made that change. I am still not seeing any BlueTooth activity.

-Louis

Louis Loving
Senior

I am using STM32CubeProgrammer v2.1.0 to program the Copro Wireless Binaries. Is it required that I use the command line interface, STM32_Programmer_CLI.exe, via the on-chip USB port? Is it possible to use ST-Link connected to JTAG on my custom board?

Thanks.

-Louis

Louis Loving
Senior

Moving on.

I now have STM32_Programmer_CLI.exe connected to my custom board using UART1. Now I am getting the "firmware not authentic" error message and can't seem to program the new stm32wb5x_FUS_fw.bin file.

Here is the last part of the attempt.

0690X000008iqBFQAY.png

Louis Loving
Senior

Ok, I am past this now. I used STM32CubeProgrammer to select all sectors and then Erase selected sectors. Full chip erase did not work. Once this was done the "firmware not authentic" error disappeared.

I now get:

0x20030030 : 01000200 (as expected)

Louis Loving
Senior

I am still not having any luck getting to the advertising state.

I have used the bootloader to program stm32wb5x_BLE_Stack_fw.bin at 0x080CC000. I believe that FUS and the BLE stack are both properly programmed.

I have included the call to SCH_Run(~0) in my main while(1) loop.

My program never hits APPE_SysUserEvtRx().

C2BOOT is set to 0x1 when I break in my while(1) loop.

Here are the settings from my Security Configuration Option Bytes:

0690X000008ixwwQAA.png

Any ideas on what to check next would be greatly appreciated.

-Louis

Louis Loving
Senior

My board is finally working. To get it there I had to add the following code along with the two IPCC IRQ handlers.

/**
  * @brief This function handles RTC wake-up interrupt through EXTI line 19.
  */
void RTC_WKUP_IRQHandler(void)
{
  /* USER CODE BEGIN RTC_WKUP_IRQn 0 */

/* USER CODE END RTC_WKUP_IRQn 0 */
  HAL_RTCEx_WakeUpTimerIRQHandler(&hrtc);
  /* USER CODE BEGIN RTC_WKUP_IRQn 1 */

/* USER CODE END RTC_WKUP_IRQn 1 */
}

Louis Loving
Senior

I had missed this step:

0690X000009XiV5QAK.png

Works great now.

plusquam
Associate II

Hello,

@STM: I would like to remind, that month has passed and problem is still present on STM32Cube FW_WB.

According to the STM's workshop presentation, there is an information, that WPAN middleware handles IPCC and HSEM, but apparently not...

0690X000009ZYPIQA4.png

For further newbie developers like me: keep in mind, that you have to add IPCC_C1_TX_IRQHandler and IPCC_C1_TX_IRQHandler definitions manually, make all steps which were described by Louis and remember to make sure, that you have SCH_Run(~0) in your main while loop. You will save lot of time.

@STM: Can we expect some fixes or changes for STM32Cube FW_WB in the near future?

Thank you in advance.

Regards

I have also found 2 more things that caused me a great deal of lost time.

We designed a custom board using the same STM32WB55CG that the Nucleo dongle uses and experienced very erratic behavior. Our board would come up and advertise for less than a second and then we would see no further activity on the bluetooth core. The problem ended up being our antenna circuitry. If you are designing a custom board, you really need some expertise in that area or a great deal of luck.

The second issue that caused me some grief was really odd behavior with my IAR IDE when using the #pragma pack(1). The tools did not give me a warning or error but I would mysteriously get a hard fault when executing my code. IAR apparently does not support that pragma and fortunately there are other methods to accomplish this needed behavior.

Good luck.