cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We interfaced sd card on SDIO lines in 4 bit mode. While recording and playing audio files,we observed "ti tik tik" noise in the line. We are using external codec on i2s line for recording and playing. Kindly let us know how to resolve this issue,

SNULU
Associate II

4 REPLIES 4
Danish1
Lead II

You need to "divide and conquer". I mean to find out where the tik tik tik gets into the system.

I assume you don't hear the sound if you're just recording the sound. But you need to find out if the tiks are getting in while recording or in playback

How? Well do you hear the tiks if playing back a known-perfect recording or a mathematically-generated sine-wave?

Another thing is to find out if they are analog or digital.

Analog:

The digital part does things in bursts. These take gulps from the power-supply. If your power supply arrangement doesn't adequately separate digital and analog sections, these gulps get onto the analog power lines and might be heard - either in what the recording part converts to digital or how the playback part converts to analog.

Digital:

The digital part takes finite time to read and write to/from SDIO. What happens to the audio during this time? Do you buffer it adequately, or is there a risk of missed or late samples?

You might be using a codec to compress / decompress the audio. This often works in blocks, and again takes finite time needing buffering. Also, if you don't retain the codec state properly from one block to the next, there will be a tik between blocks.

Hope this helps,

Danish

Try changing the slew rate of the SDIO pins. Try reducing the clock frequency. See how this impacts the noise. See if you can observe the noise generating signals on a scope. Try to understand the source. ​

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

I think it's electromagnetic interference (EMI). There are isolation techniques which can reduce/remove the interference, probably not without some PCB layout changes. Here are some documents:

Hi,

Thank you for the response.

We are working on the mentioned points.

This is helpful for us.