cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VL53L0X AVDD voltage

Deadror
Associate

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if it is possible to supply my VL53L0X with a 3V3 voltage?

According to the datasheet, the 3V3 respects the recommanded operating condition.

0690X000008iXO0QAM.jpg

But when I look for example board from ST or other vendors, there is always a converter from 3V3 to 2V8. So I am a little bit confuse.

Moreover, the note number (4) on the previous screenshot indicates that there is some API mode to set if the module works with 1V8 or 2V8. Sadly I did not find any related subject in the API User manual.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,

Alain.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
John E KVAM
ST Employee

​Go ahead and use 3v3. The chip was designed with batteries in mind which why 2.8 is in the middle of the range.

The 2.8 was simply more convenient for our cell phone customers.

Lots of customers use 3v3. Just try to keep the voltage less than 3.5.

As for note 4  the I2C 1V8 mode API did not appear to make things better or worse. No need to call it. So it was left out of the API, and unfortunately not taken out of the data sheet.

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question. It helps the next guy.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
John E KVAM
ST Employee

​Go ahead and use 3v3. The chip was designed with batteries in mind which why 2.8 is in the middle of the range.

The 2.8 was simply more convenient for our cell phone customers.

Lots of customers use 3v3. Just try to keep the voltage less than 3.5.

As for note 4  the I2C 1V8 mode API did not appear to make things better or worse. No need to call it. So it was left out of the API, and unfortunately not taken out of the data sheet.

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question. It helps the next guy.
Deadror
Associate

Hi John,

Thank you for your quick reply !

I will go for the 3V3 then, that's perfect.

Best regards,

Alain.

ABois
Associate

Hello,

I also want to use a VL53L0X with a 3V3 power supply.

I don't understand your comment about the I2C bus voltage.

Can I use 3V3 I2C, or do I need to add a voltage translator to lower the I2C bus to 1V8 ?

John E KVAM
ST Employee

Don't go to 1.8.

Go ahead and use 3v3 if that is what is easy.

3v3 is the default.

In the API is a bit of conditional code (#ifdef) that tells the sensor what the max I2C voltage is (see below), But clearly you cannot tel lthe sensor to change something if the I2C doesn't alreay work. Consider this a 'fine tuning' of the bus.

/* by default the I2C is running at 1V8 if you want to change it you
	 * need to include this define at compilation level.
	 */
#ifdef USE_I2C_2V8
	Status = VL53L0X_UpdateByte(Dev,
		VL53L0X_REG_VHV_CONFIG_PAD_SCL_SDA__EXTSUP_HV,
		0xFE,
		0x01);
#endif

The chage sets the half-way point of the voltage. But 1/2 of 2V8 is pretty close to 1/2 of 3v3 and the I2C bus is kind of sloppy in this reguard.

The setting is there if you need it.

• john