cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to create STM32MP157AAAx Example Project

MBhin
Associate III

Hi ST Community,

i am using STM32CubeIDE. But i can not create an example project as i am getting the following error.

0690X000008iVU1QAM.jpg

But according to old posts related to STM32MP157, other users have created the example project successfully. Need some help please for getting started.

i am using STM32CubeIDE v1.0.0.

Best Regards,

Usman

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Good to hear it is working, for our knowledge, what's went wrong ?

For Linux debug, please have a look to https://wiki.st.com/stm32mpu/wiki/Linux_tracing,_monitoring_and_debugging

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21
Olivier GALLIEN
ST Employee

Hi @MBhin​ 

As stated in the error message STM32MP157 is not yet supported in STM32CubeIDE V1.0.0

It will be supported very soon, in next version coming in July.

In the meantime you can use SW4STM32 and build a project that will be compatible with STM32CubeIDE.

BR,

Olivier

Olivier GALLIEN
In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
PatrickF
ST Employee

You could use STM32CubeMX to generate the Cortex-M4 SW4STM32 project.

MBhin
Associate III

@PatrickF​  @Community member​  Thank you so much guys it was very helpful. could you please guide me about another issue relating to Debugging.

I used STM32CubeMX v2.0.1 to create STM32MP157AAAx project. it also created STM32CubeIDE competible prject file. i can clean and build the project. But, i am getting the following error message, when i start the debug session:

0690X000008iW44QAE.jpg

Could you please guide me what am i missing. i have Power Cable plug in and ST-Link USB connected. (LD1 and LD6 are on, LD2 is blinking). and i have jumper connections as described in https://wiki.st.com/stm32mpu/wiki/Getting_started/STM32MP1_boards/STM32MP157x-EV1/Let%27s_start/Unpack_the_STM32MP157x-EV1_board.

PatrickF
ST Employee

Are you sure ST-Link drivers correctly installed ? Need to install STM32CubeProgrammer.

Otherwise, please have a look on https://wiki.st.com/stm32mpu/wiki/Getting_started/STM32MP1_boards/STM32MP157x-EV1/Develop_on_Arm%C2%AE_Cortex%C2%AE-M4/Modify,_rebuild_and_reload_a_firmware

and also on https://wiki.st.com/stm32mpu/wiki/STM32CubeMP1_development_guidelines

• If you are debugging M4 with Linux running (i.e. "production mode", BOOT[2:0] not equal to 0b100), you need to connect as well Ethernet cable (Ethernet over USB is also supported) to allow code download using SSH (and debug using ST-Link).
  • If you want to debug in "engineering mode" (Boot[2:0] = 0b100), i.e. without Linux, you need to tailor the M4 code init as no Linux to manage it (e.g. clocking, etc..). Ethernet is not needed in that case (M4 code download into RAMs is done thru ST-Link)

MBhin
Associate III

@PatrickF​ Yes the issue is with ST-Link. i have installed STM32CubeProgrmmer, currently i am using windows 10 and st-link drivers are correctely installed as i have tested the functionality of st-link on other st board. currently i am using "engineering mode" (Boot[2:0] = 0b100), and MB1263/JP1 is OFF, MB1263/JP4 [2-3] and JP5 [2-3] are O. But unfortunately i am still getting No ST-Link detected. ont thing is for sure that some configuration fails, which i am missing, can you please have a look on current settings and guide me what am i missing?

0690X000008jAoZQAU.jpg

But the weired thing is DFU driver for USB_OTG is working.

Olivier GALLIEN
ST Employee

Hi @MBhin​ 

I'm wondering if there is not misunderstanding with my previous comment.

You can not use STM32CubeIDE at all with STM32MP1 so far. STM32MP1 target is not known.

Connection with ST-Link in engineering mode will fail.

You need to use SW4STM32 instead.

https://wiki.st.com/stm32mpu/wiki/STM32-CoPro-MPU_plugin_for_SW4STM32

Olivier

Olivier GALLIEN
MBhin
Associate III

hi @Community member​ ,

i created an example project using stm32cubeMx. build it using STM32CubeIDE (which is working, i have *.out file). With STM32CubeProgrammer Theoratically i should be able to detect at lease Serial number from ST-Link if i have correctly installed version of ST-Link driver in my PC and have set the correct Jumpers to use on board st.link V2.1. But as you can see in attachment, it is not the case:

0690X000008jAxHQAU.png

PatrickF
ST Employee

Hello,

with STM32MP1 family, STM32CubeProgrammer could only be used to program the board Flash (for EV1, could SD-Card, eMMC, Serial-NOR, SLC-NAND) with a Linux package (e.g. TF-A, u-Boot, Linux, Filesystem, etc..). With STM32Mp1 family, STM32CubeProgrammer only connect using USB OTG DFU (i.e. Serial Boot) and never need ST-Link (i.e. No way to Flash using JTAG/SWD). This 'serial boot' mode is not possible in BOOT[2:0] = 'Engineering boot' . See wiki.

I remind that Cortex-M4 binary cannot be directly loaded (i.e. in SRAMs/RETRAM) or even programmed in Flash using STM32CubeProgrammer, it should be part of Linux Filesystem (e.g. could be updated using SSH).

see e.g. wiki.

I understand you want to load and debug your Cortex-M4 project 'alone' (which is ok) and use "Engi mode" (i.e. no Linux running), the only way to do that is to use SW4STM32 which will then use ST-Link (SWD+VCP for the console).

In all case, ST-Link VCP is used for UART console.

MBhin
Associate III

@PatrickF​  Thank you so much for your answer. Could you please also guide me how can i flash the Linux Package and later an Application on Cortex-A7? there is a "STM32MP1 OpenSTLinux Starter Package" available. But i could not able to found the related Document, How to install the image file on Cortex-A.

Best Regards,

Bhinder