cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fixed version of Cortex in STM32H7 ?

Gpeti
Senior II

Hello,

I've heard that some bugs have been found on Cortex M7 related to cache management, and that the STM32H7 will embed the fixed version of Cortex design. But I can't find when this updated version of STM32H7 will be available. Also, where (in what document) is the ARM Cortex M7 design revision specified ?

Regards

11 REPLIES 11
Max
ST Employee

The correct place to look for this type of information is the product errata-sheet.

but it won't show you future/planned silicon revision until they become available.

if you need more information about products or revisions that are not yet available, you must to ask your local ST contact.

H7xx r1p1

CPUID 411FC271 DEVID 450 REVID 1001 Cortex M7 r1p1

CPUID 411FC271 DEVID 450 REVID 1003 Cortex M7 r1p1 STM32H7xx Rev Y

I don't have my Rev V to hand, but I think that's the same r1p1 core. Will check later

>>Also, where (in what document) is the ARM Cortex M7 design revision specified ?

Try the Reference Manual or the Errata

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

Hello, the errata sheet mentions that the bugs of version r0p1 are present on all versions of STM32H753, so I'm surprised that you mention r1p1 ?

I've tracked this stuff pretty comprehensively, definitely reporting r1p1

https://static.docs.arm.com/ddi0489/d/DDI0489D_cortex_m7_trm.pdf

https://community.st.com/s/question/0D50X0000AnssYLSQY/how-can-i-check-the-revision-of-the-m7-core-without-checking-the-registers

ST's only used r0p1 in the first generation CM7 parts the F746/F756/F750

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

Rev V

Core=400000000, 400 MHz

CPUID 411FC271 DEVID 450 REVID 2003

Cortex M7 r1p1

STM32H7xx

C0000018 20000A28 00000000

10110221 12000011 00000040

FPU-D Single-precision and Double-precision

Gpeti
Senior II

​Thank you Clive, it's quite helpful as I don't have a Nucleo up and running yet. So the errata sheet is wrong for this product (at least for the core version). 

Piranha
Chief II

STM32H7: AN4891 section 2.6.

STM32F7: AN4667 section 1.7.

Real bugs with cache management are in ST's software. Their code monkeys are not able to understand cache management, multi-threading, full-duplex communication, asynchronous events, memory barriers and even optimal use of local/volatile variables.

​AN4891 is not a document but a software expansion X-CUBE-PERF-H7. Typo ?

ARM describes some real hardware bugs related to cache, including on the r1p1, and this is what my company is concerned about. I don't see the link with potential software bugs from ST.

Maybe You should look further down than the first result in Google search...

I'm not saying that there aren't bugs in hardware, but those are rarely showstoppers and there are million times more bugs in ST's software. HAL and Cube generated bloatware is one big bug. It's so broken in almost every aspect, that there is no sense in fixing it - to get GOOD driver framework, it must be rewritten. But, if You take into account errata, write Your own drivers, integration layers and so on, the chance of serious showstopper bug in ARM core is extremely negligible.