cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Add a USB host port on a STM32F103 dev board

0x80
Associate

Hi,

I'm just starting out with embedded programming & electronics so please bear with me 🙂

I am starting a project based on the STM32F103 Nucleo board. The first thing I want to do is create a USB host port to connect a class-compliant MIDI device.

From this link I learned that means the USB class is likely OTG. What I don't understand yet is what I need in terms of hardware. I would like to use a USB type A port. Can I hook it up straight to the MCU pins on the dev board without additional ICs?

I ordered this book today which will surely help me with this, but it will take some days to arrive and I'd like to prepare already if I can.

1 REPLY 1
0x80
Associate

I think I've learned two important things this morning:

• Yes, USB data lines are connected directly to the pins. I could for example use this simple module.
  • The 103x processor do not support USB host.

From what I've read here USB host / on-the-go class would require a 105/7 board at least. Luckily I didn't buy the hardware yet 🙂

That's a bit of a bummer because I was going base my project on an open-source project which uses the 103. I guess I will have to put in a bit more effort to port that code/hardware design.

But anyway, eventually my project requires both a USB host/OTG and a USB device port (also for MIDI) simultaneously. So I will first figure out that processor supports that...