cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32 General Purpose Timer Update Event and glitch problem

NCTUser
Associate III

I use STM32F102 and TIM2 timer in PWM1 mode to generate defined frequency and duty cycle

square wave. I have some questions and I hope can get some help from experienced colleagues.

1. I update the ARR/CCR1 register in an interrput which is defined by the communication

cycle and independent form timer frequency , which means I write the ARR/CCR1 asynchronusly

form Timer Update Event. I was afraid that the update event happens between the writing of

ACC and CCR1 and the content of two registers became inconsistent. But if I disable the

update event I got a missing pulse. How can I use the Timer to have always consistent ARR/CCR1 pairs and no missing pulses?

TIM2->EGR &= ~TIM_EGR_UG;

/* ... */

TIM2->ARR = periodCh1; // If the UpdateEvent happens here the pulse is missing!

TIM2->CCR1 = pulseCh1;

/* ... */

TIM2->EGR |= TIM_EGR_UG;

2. If the ARR and CCR1 registers are equal (which means for me the 100% duty cycle) I expected constant level on the timer output,

but I noticed there is a one timer clock long glitch on the output (one glitch per update event).

Is it the normal behavior? Should I manually force the output in constant state in this situation?

3. How can I force the output of the compare module in known state? The best way to change the Output compare 1 mode (OC1M)

to forced mode or should I configure the pin back to GPIO output?

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

> TIM2->EGR &= ~TIM_EGR_UG;

This does nothing, and

> TIM2->EGR |= TIM_EGR_UG;

this forces an update event.

You can't stop the update event generation. TIM_EGR.UG *generates* an update event, even if the counter is not matching ARR. You could stop the counter itself (possibly while disabling higher priority interrupts), if a small change in period is not an issue.

CCR1 = 0 means no pulse, CCR1 = 1 means pulse 1 cycle long, CCR1 = 2 means pulse 2 cycle long, ... , CCR1 = ARR means pulse ARR cycle long - but the period is ARR+1, so to achieve 100% you have to set CCR1 = ARR + 1 (or higher).

Both methods work and it depends on context which one is "better". Changing pin mode to GPIO output preserves the timer's internal state - it may even continue to run and for example throw interrupts, if that's desired. On the other hand, setting output compare mode to forced may allow to have a defined width pulse if you switch it back to PWM in a random time.

JW

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

> TIM2->EGR &= ~TIM_EGR_UG;

This does nothing, and

> TIM2->EGR |= TIM_EGR_UG;

this forces an update event.

You can't stop the update event generation. TIM_EGR.UG *generates* an update event, even if the counter is not matching ARR. You could stop the counter itself (possibly while disabling higher priority interrupts), if a small change in period is not an issue.

CCR1 = 0 means no pulse, CCR1 = 1 means pulse 1 cycle long, CCR1 = 2 means pulse 2 cycle long, ... , CCR1 = ARR means pulse ARR cycle long - but the period is ARR+1, so to achieve 100% you have to set CCR1 = ARR + 1 (or higher).

Both methods work and it depends on context which one is "better". Changing pin mode to GPIO output preserves the timer's internal state - it may even continue to run and for example throw interrupts, if that's desired. On the other hand, setting output compare mode to forced may allow to have a defined width pulse if you switch it back to PWM in a random time.

JW

NCTUser
Associate III

Thank you for your answer! Now I understand better what happened. But

what about the sequential writing of the ARR/CCR1 registers? Should I worry

about what will happen, when the update event occurs between the writing

of ARR and CCR1? Could happen the situation that the ARR register is updated

but the CCR1 not (and CCR1 holds previous value until the next update event)?

As I've said, the easiest way is to stop the counter for the time you are updating ARR/CCR1.

JW

NCTUser
Associate III

I could bring the compare module's output to known (high) state

if immediately output switch needed:

TIM2->ARR = 0;

TIM2->CCR1 = 0xffff;

TIM2->EGR |= TIM_EGR_UG;

It helps to avoid the GPIO or Output Mode reconfiguration, altough

both works well. I could prevent the ARR/CCR1 pair mismatch by

disabling the register reload:

TIM2->CR1 |= TIM_CR1_UDIS;

TIM2->ARR = periodCh1;

TIM2->CCR1 = pulseCh1;

TIM2->CR1 &= ~TIM_CR1_UDIS;

Nice trick, using UDIS (if you don't need update eg. for periodic interrupt)!

JW