cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have questions about STM32L496's DCMI capabilities. Is STM32L496 capable of recording a video and maybe even compressing a video? What's the maximum you can achieve with this MCU?

Daduka
Associate

Hello ST community,

I want to make a video recorder with STM32L496 and OV2640 camera module. The datasheet of the MCU(STM32L496) says this: "• 8- to 14-bit camera interface up to 32 MHz (black&white) or 10 MHz (color)" and this got me a little bit confused.

As I know to get 15 fps from OV2640 at 640x480 the pixel clock must be set at 12MHz. Does that mean that I will not be able to get colored video at 15 fps with STM32L496, because the maximum frequency which is supported by the MCU is 10MHz(color)?

To sum up, I want to make a device which can record colored video(15fps - 640x480) along with audio and simultaneously write that to an SD card. I was even thinking about mp4 compression. Is STM32L496 or STM32L4R9 enough? If not which MCU can you suggest? I chose STM32L496 because of it's low power usage and I chose OV2640 because it can output compressed(JPEG) data.

Thanks and I am waiting for your reply. 😁

2 REPLIES 2
FTila.1
Associate II

Hi dear

I just want to know if you manged to do the project because I am doing almost the same. Could you please tell me how you stored the video in the SD CARD

The inference here is that it can take a 14-bit word at 32 MHz (80 MHz / 2.5), the data throughput for colour is going to be some fraction of that based on the byte/word size of the transfers, and how many transfers it takes to get all the colour data for a specific pixel.

It's improbable that you have anywhere near this bandwidth writing to and managing an SD card, let alone doing any image processing on it.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..