cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LPS33W vs LPS33HW, and looking for caps

manuel_EncoreLab
Associate II

Hi,

My company is starting to develop an environmental sensor and we've found the LPS33W sensor to be a nice choice. I have 3 questions surrounding this sensor.

1. I've just found the LPS33HW, that seems to be the same sensor but launched a couple of years ago. I would like to know the main differences among them and wether if you recommend one or another for withstanding countryside environmental conditions (they will be installed for monitoring crops).
  2. We've been using the LPS33W sensor with the evaluation board (STEVAL-MKI205V1) and I see that there are some holes for mounting a cap. Could you please provide a reference for finding these kind of caps?
  3. The application of the sensor is sensing the pressure of the air in the countryside, and it will be quite exposed to the dust produced while working on the crops and the case of the sensor might also get some plant protection products. Do you recommend any specific filter for the case in order to stop these particles to get to the sensor?

Thanks in advance

Regards,

Manuel Gómez

3 REPLIES 3
BRYAN SPEED
Senior

Both have a Gel to protect the internals.

The LPS33W says :

Gel inside the IC protects the electrical components from harsh environmental conditions.

The LPS33HW is water resistant :

The package is holed to allow external pressure to reach the sensing element. Gel inside the IC protects the electrical components from water.

Not sure about "holes"- but the adaptor eval board has tow SMD ceramic bypass caps installed.

Some gore-tex materials can "breathe" and allow air pressure changes, while improving dust rejection.

BRYAN SPEED
Senior

The Main difference is actually lower noise for the 33HW

Eleon BORLINI
ST Employee

Hi Manuel, on top of the differences Bryan has underlined, consider that the choice between the two part numbers depends on the resistance required by your application: the most resistant pressure sensor in ST portfolio is the LPS33W.

Please consider also the guidelines for mounting and embedding these devices (here the link) to gain a more detailed indication on the handling of ST pressure sensors. Regards