cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32CubeIDE - how to program my device permanently?

Roberto.F
Associate II

Hi there,

I have been using STM32CubeIDE for a few days now and really like it. I have managed to run some code and successfully debug my code using ST-LINK and the embedded debugger of STM32CubeIDE.

I now would like to program my device so that the code remains permanently (i.e. do a "release" build and program/verify). I cannot find anywhere how I am supposed to do this.

Can somebody help?

Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5
Uwe Bonnes
Principal II

Probably you already load the "debug" version of your program permanently to the device. Find you, by disconnecting the debugger and start up ether by power up or a reset.

Roberto.F
Associate II

Thansk @Uwe Bonnes​ 

I tried that but it doesn't work. As soon as I take the power off and disconnect my ST-Link device, it doesn't load again.

edwin8
Associate II

I'd like to know as well. I've been going back to using STM32CubeProgrammer to program my device. Could not figure out how to do it on the CubeIDE!

Roberto.F
Associate II

Yes, @edwin8​ that's what I'm doing as well. I build inside STM32CubeIDE using the "release" build, then go find the ".elf" file it generates and then program it using STM32CubeProgrammer. Surely there is a way to do it from the IDE!

Hopefully someone from ST sees this message and replies.

bobmc_rmm1
Associate II

The default build appears to be for debug and that works for me. If I click the terminate icon and shut down the IDE, the STM32 keeps running.

Release build should be a set procedure. However, the steps are scattered across various menus and dialogs. I have not been able to discover what works.

The IDE appears to be designed for multiple projects at once. It needs to be modal so that there are simple procedures for working one project at a time.