cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TouchGFX without LTDC?

CStie
Associate

I'm trying to use STM32CubeMX to enable TouchGFX on a STM32F427 which doesn't have a LTDC peripheral. Is this possible?

Per https://touchgfx.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/203642951-MCUs-without-TFT-controller, TouchGFX is capable.

Also, what is required to enable TIM? Any timer with any config?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Martin KJELDSEN
Chief III

Hi @CStie​ ,

Yes, this is definitely possible. It is not integrated into CubeMX yet, so for any MCU it would require TFT / DSI Controller as of now.

If you do not have a signal from your display, you can use a hardware timer, yes, to generate the VSYNC.

/Martin

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Khouloud ZEMMELI
ST Employee

​Hello @CStie​ 

This's reported internally for further check.

Best Regards,

Khouloud.

Martin KJELDSEN
Chief III

Hi @CStie​ ,

Yes, this is definitely possible. It is not integrated into CubeMX yet, so for any MCU it would require TFT / DSI Controller as of now.

If you do not have a signal from your display, you can use a hardware timer, yes, to generate the VSYNC.

/Martin

scottSD
Senior III

@Martin KJELDSEN​ Just curious if this has been given any further investigation?

For a few of our applications, we are planning on using TFTs with on-board controllers which do not use standard 24 bit RGB (or RGB565) so we will not be using the LTDC.

We were planning on writing our own driver for it but was wondering if the "Custom" display interface for the TouchGFX has been looked at by ST?

Hi @scottSD​,

It depends on what you mean by "further investigation" - At some point it's just not possible to get any further since the display is a custom component and we can't know how to send data to it.

/Martin

@Martin KJELDSEN​  I understand your point as of course not every possible display could be accommodated.

On this topic, do you know where the following article ended up on the new documentation?

https://touchgfx.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/203642951-MCUs-without-TFT-controller

We are currently attempting this and running into some issues. This article has recently been removed from zendesk and we were referring to it in our development.

Yes, i rewrote it to be partly Generator "Custom interface" and scenarios "SPI/FMC". I was hoping that would be enough. But you'd like this to be more specific, i take it. Maybe i could just rename the scenario SPI/FMC to include "no TFT controller"

/Martin

@Martin KJELDSEN​ Thanks.

After discussing with a co-worker (who is implementing this) I believe we have what we need from the "FMC and SPI" scenarios article.

https://support.touchgfx.com/docs/development/touchgfx-hal-development/scenarios/scenarios-fmc

We will proceed and see how it it goes. We've got the timer-generating Vsync and working through other issues.

Great, @scottSD​,

Let me know if you have any input when following that scenario.

/Martin