cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

External Oscillator

BPR
Associate II

Hi,

I'm using STM32F072C8 controller on custom board. I want to use external ready oscillator instead of using crystal component.

So need some information on how to interface external oscillator to STM32 controller and configurations that has to be made on software side..?

The External oscillator device I'm using is SIT6098EBB.

Thank You

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Typically via the OSC_IN (HSE) pin and configuring as HSE_BYPASS rather than HSE_ON, which selects as a digital input. Frequencies up to 50 MHz are usually accommodated, PLL settings would need to be tuned to get desired operating frequencies.

Define HSE_VALUE to the frequency in the stm32xyz_hal_conf.h so the library math works for baud rates, etc.

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Amel NASRI
ST Employee

Hi @BPR​ ,

Please refer to AN2867 Oscillator design guide for STM8AF/AL/S, STM32 MCUs and MPUs. You will find there recommendations about compatible oscillators to use with STM32 products.

If you look for general hardware recommendation in order to efficiently setup your custom board, you need to look to Getting started with STM32F0x1/x2/x8

hardware development (AN4080).

Now, regarding the software configuration: STM32CubeMX will help you to generate a ready to use project with suitable clock configuration depending on your setup. Here the step by step tutorials is what you need to start with.

-Amel

PS: Once your question is answered, please click on "Select as Best" for the comment containing the answer to your initial question.

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Typically via the OSC_IN (HSE) pin and configuring as HSE_BYPASS rather than HSE_ON, which selects as a digital input. Frequencies up to 50 MHz are usually accommodated, PLL settings would need to be tuned to get desired operating frequencies.

Define HSE_VALUE to the frequency in the stm32xyz_hal_conf.h so the library math works for baud rates, etc.

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..