cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to enable SWV for STM32F030?

KG?�l
Associate II

I just installed STM32CubeIDE 1.0 version to give it a try. When I tried to enable SWV , i saw it is disabled and can not modifiable. At first, I assumed this is because of some limitation of chip, but with same hardware my other compiler ( Keil ) is perfectly using SWV and showing real time variables without stoping the code execution. Am I doing something wrong? How can I enable SWV?

4 REPLIES 4

For the CM0 parts you need to use the event recorder (EVT?). Keil's Bob Boys has an app note on the method if you dig a bit.​

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
KG?�l
Associate II

I really didn't understand what you mean? I tried to use STM Studio to see variables real time, it is working. So, obviously this hardware ( ST-LINK and STM32F0 ) capable to send variable values via SWO. So, i just want to do same thing in STM32CubeIDE. Whenever I stop execution, IDE is showing the current values of variables, but while running not showing. This EVT, is another way to do this?

SWO is just a secondary output stream, similar to the DCC in older ARM devices, and a bit like a USART.

The debugger can already read/write into memory, although I think doing so distorts the execution speed of the target.​

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Pavel A.
Evangelist III

You may want to look at Segger's RTT. It uses only the minimal Cortex debugger interface and works on M0/F0.

https://www.segger.com/products/debug-probes/j-link/technology/about-real-time-transfer/

See also:

http://blog.atollic.com/the-ultimate-guide-to-etm-instruction-tracing-cortex-m-debugging

With the latest Keil uVision 5.26 I found that using the EVR without RTOS (HAL drivers only) is encumbered. Posted a workaround in this forum earlier.

Good luck.

-- pa