cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Choose MCU family

federico.massimi
Associate III

Goodmorning, 

I've been using the STM32 MCUs for a while. Now I should start a safety critical project, nothing complicated, I just have to monitor a signal at precise time intervals and set some GPIO (an interrupt based on a timer and little else) but safety critical.

Since the SPC5s are classified as safety critical MCUs, I wanted to understand if they could be suitable for this project.

In particular, how do SPC5 differ from STM32? Whay SPC5 si a safety critical MCU?

Knowing well the toolchain for STM32 (cubemx + Truestudio) how difficult would it be to switch to the toolchain for SPC5?

Thanks in advance,

Federico.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Erwan YVIN
ST Employee

Hello ,

https://community.st.com/s/question/0D50X00009XkeRgSAJ/differences-between-stm32-and-spc5

• SPC5 has a powerpc core (32 Bits), you can use SPC5Studio with Free Toolchain for that. (and automotive grade)
  • STM32 has a arm core (32 Bits), you can use STM32 Tools set with Free Toolchain (gcc arm)

About form-factor for prototyping :

STM32 Kits have a nice Nucleo FormFactor in order to create easily your prototype (with arduino shield), and less expensive.

The Discovery kits form factor are different except 58.

In term of community point of view ,

STM32 has a greater mass-market community comparing SPC5 one. Community support will be maybe better.

In term of certifications ,

STM32 is SIL Ready

SPC5 are ASIL-B and ASIL-D (SPC56P/L/S) not the SPC56B

Best Regards

Erwan

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Erwan YVIN
ST Employee

Hello ,

https://community.st.com/s/question/0D50X00009XkeRgSAJ/differences-between-stm32-and-spc5

• SPC5 has a powerpc core (32 Bits), you can use SPC5Studio with Free Toolchain for that. (and automotive grade)
  • STM32 has a arm core (32 Bits), you can use STM32 Tools set with Free Toolchain (gcc arm)

About form-factor for prototyping :

STM32 Kits have a nice Nucleo FormFactor in order to create easily your prototype (with arduino shield), and less expensive.

The Discovery kits form factor are different except 58.

In term of community point of view ,

STM32 has a greater mass-market community comparing SPC5 one. Community support will be maybe better.

In term of certifications ,

STM32 is SIL Ready

SPC5 are ASIL-B and ASIL-D (SPC56P/L/S) not the SPC56B

Best Regards

Erwan