cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't connect using the I2C Bridge and the ISB042GUI "it's not possible to read the device mode information"

TNeuS
Associate

Hi, I'm having trouble with the ISB042V1 evaluation board and the I2C bridge dongle. I believe I have everything wired correctly, but I get an error message when I press the "Connect I2C Bridge" button on the GUI.

I have provided 5V power to J2 as instructed in the user's manual UM2289.

Any help would be appreciated.

8 REPLIES 8
SSchw
Associate

Hi there,

I have the same problem with my STEVAL-ISB042V1 evaluation board and the ISB042GUI (or STWLC33 GUI 1.09). Somehow the GUI can't find the I2C bridge when clicking "Connect I2C bridge". The I2C bridge acts as virtual COM port on my system and uses ST's default COM port VID/PID 0483/5740. I tried to monitor why the STWLC33 GUI can't find the I2C bridge. I could notice that there is no attempt to connect to COM port devices. Instead the GUI is looking for USB HID devices (there are some windows registry accesses).

It looks like the I2C bridge which comes with the STEVAL-ISB042V1 evalkit comes with the wrong firmware or the STWLC33 GUI 1.09 can't handle that specific I2C bridge. For me the STEVAL-ISB042V1 evalkit is pretty much useless when the PC software is not working. I don't want to re-implement all the I2C command and routines when I have to quickly evaluate an IC.

HChan.1
Associate

Hello there,

I guess I am not alone then. Might be batch related issue as these incident appears to come up in the last 3 months. My evaluation board has a number of S0733. Also, I noticed the are some inconsistency on the i2C dongle, the front silk screen it says "Dongle for STEVAL-ISB042V1" and the back of the PCB on the copper prints its said Dongle for" STEVAL-ISB038V1R". I look up the eval board model, it looks like an old qi model STWLC04.

Hope this get resolved as soon as possible.

HK

TNeuS
Associate

I guess it's nice to know that other people are running into the same trouble, but I never did find the answer either. I have put this project on hold until there is some resolution.

My first intension was that ST's GUI is just looking for COM1 to COM9. My PC has seen over 170 virtual COM port devices and slowly but surely I am running out of unused numbers 😀 . In the end I was lucky to find one related post which described the exact issue I experienced too. Thanks mate!

HChan.1
Associate

Stefan,

I supposed you are still not able to connect to the GUI? But you have found people like us that facing the same problem? I got a fresh Windows 10 installation so my virtual port count has reset so mine is currently COM4 or COM5. Otherwise it will be COM220 or something like that on this machine. I doubt it is the numbering issue.

KNewl
Associate

I have the same issue trying the I2C Bridge on the STEVAL-ISB042V1. Has anyone found a solution for this or heard from ST if the board is outdated?

Has anyone found a solution to this yet?

SCing.1
Associate

Looks like a incompatible USB to I2C bridge is included with my STEVAL-ISB042V1 too (bought a few days ago from Digikey).

The GUI "STWLC33 user GUI 1.09 for STEVAL-ISB042" v1.09 does not find the bridge. The bridge appears as a COM port with VID/PID 0483/5740 (same as yours).

With the STEVAL-ISB042V1 connected, the I2C bus has 1.80V and there is not a single bit on these lines when I start the GUI or click on "Connect I2C bridge". Also if I disconnect USB, the GUI still reports "It's not possible to read device mode information. Please check power supply and I2C connection". So it does not distinguish between errors behind the bridge and the presence of the bridge.