cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UDP Echo server not working

ConductedForce
Associate II

Working on a basic UDP Echo server with STM32F429ZI. I had CubeMX add lwIP into the project, but its doesn't seem to receive any packets when I send them. DHCP seems to work as I can see an IP getting assigned on the router.

void udp_echoserver_receive_callback(void *arg, struct udp_pcb *upcb, struct pbuf *p, struct ip_addr *addr, u16_t port)
{

/* Connect to the remote client */
  udp_connect(upcb, addr, UDP_CLIENT_PORT);

/* Tell the client that we have accepted it */
  udp_send(upcb, p);

/* free the UDP connection, so we can accept new clients */
  udp_disconnect(upcb);

/* Free the p buffer */
  pbuf_free(p);

}

/**
  * @brief  Initialize the server application.
  * @param  None
  * @retval None
  */
void udp_echoserver_init(void)
{
   struct udp_pcb *upcb;
   err_t err;

/* Create a new UDP control block  */
   upcb = udp_new();

if (upcb)
   {
     /* Bind the upcb to the UDP_PORT port */
     /* Using IP_ADDR_ANY allow the upcb to be used by any local interface */
      err = udp_bind(upcb, IP_ADDR_ANY, UDP_SERVER_PORT);

if(err == ERR_OK)
      {
        /* Set a receive callback for the upcb */
        udp_recv(upcb, udp_echoserver_receive_callback, NULL);
      }
   }
}

These are my init and callback functions. In main I call ethernetif_input(&gnetif);

I'd like to store the packets to be read in main using the RxCmpltCallback, but I'm not sure what to do. Also despite ICMP being enabled, no pings are recieved when I use a ping program.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ConductedForce
Associate II

Turns out that the setup for the Nucleo and non-Nucleo chips are different for the PHY address. Changed PHY address to 0 and everything started working. (For anyone wondering, PHY address is declared in stm32f4xx_hal_conf.h, or use CubeMX if you already are.)

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
ConductedForce
Associate II

I switched to using MX_LWIP_Process(); instead of ethernetif_input(&gnetif);

I also had a suspicion that I was not actually having a full connection to the interface, as if the router was assigning an IP whether it was requested or not. I commented out MX_LWIP_Init() and my udp_echoserver_init(). An IP was still assigned, so it must be something with the interface initialization. That's my thought at the moment.

ConductedForce
Associate II

Turns out that the setup for the Nucleo and non-Nucleo chips are different for the PHY address. Changed PHY address to 0 and everything started working. (For anyone wondering, PHY address is declared in stm32f4xx_hal_conf.h, or use CubeMX if you already are.)