cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32L arm based MCU - TRNG details

MBurg
Associate

Hi, I am wondering if the build-in TRNG modules in the STM32L series (0, 1,2 ,4, 4+ and 5) are compliant with the NIST 800 90A/B/C standards. If so, where I can find information on ST stating such TRNG complies with this standards? We are developing a product for a specific client who is requesting that all TRNG's are compliant with the aforementioned standards.

Regards

2 REPLIES 2

The information is in the reference manual. You haven't provided an exact model, so I'm quoting the one for STM32L0x2 (RM0376).

The RNG is a true random number generator that continuously provides 32-bit entropy samples, based on an analog noise source. It can be used by the application as a live entropy source to build a NIST compliant Deterministic Random Bit Generator (DRBG).

[Click Show More]

In order to assess the amount of entropy available from the RNG, STMicroelectronics has tested the peripheral against AIS-31 PTG.2 set of tests. The results can be provided on demand or the customer can reproduce the measurements using the AIS reference software. The customer could also test the RNG against an older NIST SP800-22 set of tests.

Also check the AN4230 application note.