cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[STM32CubeIDE bugreport] #1 - unable to create an empty project with STM32CubeIDE, #2 - build job gets stuck forever trying to compile STM32Cube project

fronders
Senior

I'm using STM32CubeIDE v1.0.0 with CubeMX v5.2.0 under Windows 10 x64.

There are two bugs i discovered. Please assist, thank you

Bug #1. When i try to create an empty project using the wizard, the following error message comes up:

Internal Error: 

Illegal character in path at index 16: file:/C:/Program Files/STMicroelectronics/STM32Cube/STM32CubeIDE_1.0.0/STM32CubeIDE/plugins/com.st.stm32cube.ide.mcu.productdb.debug_1.0.0.201904021149/resources/cmsis/STMicroelectronics_CMSIS_SVD/STM32F446.svd

It mentions character at index 16, which is obviously a space in "Program Files".

For more details please see the attached screenshot:

0690X000008BGEEQA4.jpg

Program Files folder is the default install directory under Windows, so this clearly needs to be fixed.

Bug #2.

When I create an STM32Cube project via embedded wizard and then try to Build the project, the build hangs after calling the assembler on startup_stm32f446retx.s (does not proceed to compiling the individual files).

Here's the console output:

21:25:50 **** Build of configuration Debug for project te ****

make -j8 all 

arm-none-eabi-gcc -mcpu=cortex-m4 -g3 -c -x assembler-with-cpp --specs=nano.specs -mfpu=fpv4-sp-d16 -mfloat-abi=hard -mthumb -o "Startup/startup_stm32f446retx.o" "../Startup/startup_stm32f446retx.s"

After that there's nothing and build job never ends.

It also hangs when I try to clean the project (gets stuck on "rm rf */"). Deleting the Debug folder, rebuilding index, etc doesn't help.

Please see the attached screenshot, notice the console log

0690X000008BGFHQA4.jpg

3 REPLIES 3
Markus GIRDLAND
ST Employee

I was able to recreate both of these when I changed my install path.

I'll write a ticket for it, thank you for the feedback!

Thanks @Markus GIRDLAND​ !

I have another couple of issues I'd like to report:

It's impossible to download HAL (via "Help -> Manage embedded software packages") until an ioc file is opened. So with a fresh downloaded IDE to get the HAL i need to create a dummy project first, and only then i'll be able to do the download. Can't you just invoke CubeMX from the Help menu?

0690X000008BKOSQA4.jpg

Also, when cubemx *.ioc file opened, when i click "Help -> Manage embedded software packages" - it disappears after couple of seconds behind the main IDE window. If I minimize the main IDE - both windows minimize, I'm able to access the packages window only if I move the IDE window out of the way. During all this the taskbar shows only one window open

0690X000008BKQnQAO.jpg

0690X000008BKQxQAO.jpg

It's a good suggestion and also a good observation of faulty behavior. I'll see if there's a ticket for the "Manage embedded software packages" window bug.

I'll have to ask around the MX team for the reasoning of it being grayed out until an .ioc file is opened, might be a technical limitation, I'm not sure.