cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a simple way to prevent that the STM32F0 is supplied parasitic through the protection diodes of the GPIOs? The device seems not to provide a brownout reset circuit, or am I wrong?

GTelk
Associate II

We use a STM32F0 in an application with increased safety requirements. The power supply is secured by a simple fuse and we have to assure that the STM32F0 is in reset state when the fuse is blown (EN60335).

Since we have a second power supply in the system, the STM32F0 might be supplied by energy passing the protection diodes of the GPIOs, if these GPIOs are connected to devices supplied by the second power supply. The STM32F0 might work even if the fuse is blown in these cases.

Ok, we could place resistors in every signal connected to the STM32F0, limiting the current. But is there a simpler solution? As far as I see the device does not have a brownout detection...?

13 REPLIES 13

>>As far as I see the device does not have a brownout detection...?

Well there's that and the fact the device can be probably function at below 1.2V

Surely what you want is a POR circuit on the supply side, and behind a diode, that clamps reset low, up to a very high threshold voltage

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
GTelk
Associate II

It seems that there is nothing helpful "on chip", e.g. a brownout reset circuit or a separate input, to be used for an undervoltage lockout - or am I wrong?

Not a part I'm actively using...

I always use external POR circuits on synchronous/clocked designs, creates less dependencies and failures.

No, I think you're going to have to design in "safety" outside of the CPU, probably want an external watchdog too.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
LMI2
Lead

There are chips which guard or check if power supplies are allright. But I don't what those chips are called. Some modern gate or buffers do that too.

Uwe Bonnes
Principal II

In my understanding, FT tolerant pins can be powered up to about 4 Volt with VDD =0. They will not backpaoer the MCU. Does your design only use fully tolerant between the powered device and the MCU?

No, unfortunately we need ADC inputs also to be connected to the second power supply, and as far as I see Pins with an ADC option are not Fault Tolerant...

Uwe Bonnes
Principal II

Fault tolerant is a nice translation for "FT" pins, but the data sheey says "5 V tolerant I/O". I looked at the L412 and it has FT ADC pins. Probably before deep sleep these pins need to be set appropriate.

MikeDB
Lead

Do you really need an STM32 ? This sort of thing is built into the latest Atmel xTINYs and xMEGAs

Uwe Bonnes
Principal II

<MCU wars on> Tell me any Tiny that runs at full speed at 3.3Volt or any X-Mega that has 5 Volt tolerant pins </MCU wars off>