cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to program an STM32 ARM micro controller

Sashvat
Associate II

Hi guys, I have a project where I need to use STM32 ARM processors I want to be able to program a bare chip of STM32's ARM Microcontrollers on my breadboard. I have a ST link V2 as the programmer. I would like to know what software (for free only)/application I need to install on my computer to code and upload it to this bare chip of mine. What are the steps I need to take to successfully write code and dump it on my STM32 ARM Microcontroller.

To basically sum it up, I have a LCD display, and I want to display characters from a sensor's readings, so which software do I use to write and upload code and it should be used with my ST link v2.

Thank you.

15 REPLIES 15
LACTIC
Associate II

If you want to work with HAL library then use STM32CUBEMX which is free of cost, this help you to make skeleton of program . You can also use Standard Peripheral library which is easy but take time to understand. IDE you can use KEIL, ATOLIC, SYTEMWORK BENCH and CoCox. its depend on you.

LACTIC
Associate II

Which type of LCD is that means 16x2 or graphical type.

Sashvat
Associate II

its a 16x2 LCD display

Sashvat
Associate II

Where can I download Keil from? what is the exact software I need to use?

Does a bare STM32 ARM chip come with a boot loader installed? or do I need to program one for it to work? Whats the procedure to do it?

Below is arm keil link download from here:-

https://www2.keil.com/stmicroelectronics-stm32/mdk

For interfacing of 16x2 LCD you got support from youtube or by github.

Can I follow the same code as what this video shows? (look at 5:27 for what I am talking about) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=877SPdwuuLA&list=PL6PplMTH29SHgRPDufZhfMRoFwRAIrzOp&index=27

And does a bare chip from STM come with the boot loader installed or do I have to make my own boot loader program?

Sorry for late reply.

This tutorial is good.

Actually I will suggest that if you will see his all tutorial of arm series that is benefits for you because his tutorials are awesome.

Most (possibly all) STM32 microcontrollers come with a boot loader in flash ROM. The boot loader allows firmware programming via the microcontroller's USART(s), often also USB, and other peripherals.

ST provides a Windows application called STM32CubeProgrammer that can program firmware into the microcontrollers.

Of course, the ST Link can also do this.