cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Driver for ST25R3911B-DISCO and programming it with AIR

FDi R.14
Associate II

Hi! I'm trying to program the ST25R3911B-DISCO but I immediately stopped because I can't find the drivers to use it (win 10 64bit).

I tried to use the GUI to update the firmware but it generates an error and you ask me to update the drivers, following the procedure but each has no effect.

He wanted to know if there was any example of a project based on ST25R3911B-DISCO to read nfc tag through the "AIR Embedded workbench" program.

Thanks a lot.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Ulysses HERNIOSUS
ST Employee

Hi Francesco,

The ST25R3911B-DISCO cannot be debugged without external debugger. It does not have an on-board ST-Link. You will need to attach an external debugger to the Cortex-M 9-pin debug interface.

Firmware update on the ST25R3911B-DISCO works through the USB DFU bootloader inside STM32L476. If that is not working then you may be hit by new driver coming with STM32CubeProgrammer. You can resolve by:

1.      Go to device manager, search “Universal Serial Bus devices -> STM32 Bootloader�? (winusb.sys in the driver details)

2.      Uninstall with “Delete the driver software for this device�? checked (!)

3.      Reset the board, keeping USB DFU mode: e.g. press boot button while resetting

4.      Go to device manager, search “Other devices -> STM32 BOOTLOADER�? (no driver installed)

5.       “Update driver software�?, select e.g. C:\PROGRAM FILES (X86)\STMICROELECTRONICS\ST25R3916_DISCOVERY_GUI\DRIVER\DFUSE

6.      Now there should be an “Universal Serial Bus controllers -> STM Device in DFU mode�? (STTub30.sys in the driver details) in the device manager and firmware update should work.

Regards, Ulysses

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Ulysses HERNIOSUS
ST Employee

Hi Francesco,

ad 1) There is no driver needed, the board will talk through USB HID where Windows brings along a generic driver.

ad 2) Please also refer to the UM of the software. If you still have problems then this may be due to incompatible new driver on your PC. Please let me know in case.

ad 3) I assume you mean IAR, not AIR?! Unfortunately we don't provide support for IAR with the ST25R3911B-DISCO. You are better of to use the XCUBE-NFC5 software which has simple demos also for IAR. Actually it will also run on ST25R3911B-DISCO board but it lacks a USB->UART bridge (ST-Link).

Regards, Ulysses

1) but if windows sees the "ST25R3911B-DISCO" as a generic device I cannot use it as a com port so it is not possible to program it right?

2) I tried to use the "ST25R3911B Discovery GUI" program but it says to update the firmware but following the procedure it generates these errors shown in the images

3) yes, sorry, IAR. The problem is that I'm going from a "core-L476rg" with "x-core-nfc05A1" expansions to the "ST25R3911B-DISCO", having the same chips I thought it was easy to program them with the same code, but IAR doesn't see the "ST25R3911B-DISCO "due to lack of drivers.

0690X000008BBKRQA4.png0690X000008BBKMQA4.png0690X000008BBKHQA4.png

Ulysses HERNIOSUS
ST Employee

Hi Francesco,

The ST25R3911B-DISCO cannot be debugged without external debugger. It does not have an on-board ST-Link. You will need to attach an external debugger to the Cortex-M 9-pin debug interface.

Firmware update on the ST25R3911B-DISCO works through the USB DFU bootloader inside STM32L476. If that is not working then you may be hit by new driver coming with STM32CubeProgrammer. You can resolve by:

1.      Go to device manager, search “Universal Serial Bus devices -> STM32 Bootloader�? (winusb.sys in the driver details)

2.      Uninstall with “Delete the driver software for this device�? checked (!)

3.      Reset the board, keeping USB DFU mode: e.g. press boot button while resetting

4.      Go to device manager, search “Other devices -> STM32 BOOTLOADER�? (no driver installed)

5.       “Update driver software�?, select e.g. C:\PROGRAM FILES (X86)\STMICROELECTRONICS\ST25R3916_DISCOVERY_GUI\DRIVER\DFUSE

6.      Now there should be an “Universal Serial Bus controllers -> STM Device in DFU mode�? (STTub30.sys in the driver details) in the device manager and firmware update should work.

Regards, Ulysses