cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to find an open version of Java that will work with STMCUFinder on a Linux system.

David Annett
Associate III

I have a new PC so was trying to install STMCUFinder. It does not like the version of Java I have, OpenJDK 11.0.3. The problem is very recently Oracle have withdrawn their freely downloadable versions of Java so you now have to enter into an agreement with them before you can download even the free version.

In past jobs I have had negative experiences with Microsoft and Keil where I had to waste a lot of time proving compliance as punishment for purchasing their software. Oracle have a bad reputation so I don't really want to deal with them if I can avoid it.

I tried to install OpenJDK 8 without luck. Is there any known non-Oracle versions of Java that are still available that will work with STMCUFinder? I am running an OS derived from the most recent version of Ubuntu.

7 REPLIES 7

Is the stand-alone version of STMCUFinder any different than the one bundled with STM32CubeMX?

I use STM32CubeMX both in Ubuntu 18.04 and Mint with OpenJDK 11 without any issues.

Pavel A.
Evangelist III

Can ST provide a Linux virtual machine or container, with CubeMX installed?

Software that works well needs much effort to create and maintain, it simply cannot be free.

Free stuff is free, but then we pay with our time and effort to make it work.

Business model for paid software has been disrupted, so we get what we get.

-- pa

PMORG
Associate

To install openjdk-8, try the command line :

sudo apt-get install openjdk-8-jre

Daniel Hassanian
Associate III

that's not true.

the new Oracle licensing only required you to purchase a subscription if you are going to publish your product. the use of the JRE is still completely free.

Pavel A.
Evangelist III

> the new Oracle licensing only required you to purchase a subscription if you are going to publish your product.

@Daniel Hassanian​  I don't understand this. The new licenses are per user, not per developer.

Will ST have to buy us user licenses for their [free] software? Don't think so.

Will they have to display a warning for user when running on a encumbered JRE?

-- pa

David Annett
Associate III

Philippe, "sudo apt-get install openjdk-8-jre" returns "Unable to locate package openjdk-8-jre", is there a PPA I need to add first?

Pavel, I would not expect ST to get licenses from Oracle for free software but it would be nice if their software worked with an open source version of Java.

Daniel, is the Oracle JRE really free, and not just in the 'Beer' sense but in the 'Speech' sense? Do I have to give them my contact details and agree to their terms and conditions? Having seen those 'conditions' exercised first hand I have a basic lack of trust of some companies. Also I seem to recall mention the free, as in 'Beer', version only applies to personal use. I am using the ST tools in a profesional capacity as part of our product development process.

As a side issue I suspect I am going to have the same issues when I come to install the other ST supplied STM32 tools I normally use on this PC.

PMORG
Associate

​David,

sorry I don't  have the environment to test the command line.

What I can see is in the CubeMx Release Notes :

Software requirements

The Java Run Time Environment 1.8_45 64-bit must be installed.

Limited validation is done with Java™ 11. Java™ 7, Java™ 9, and Java™ 10 are not supported.

After Oracle®(a) announcement related to “End of Public Updates for Oracle JDK 8�?, access to OpenJDK is possible via https://adoptopenjdk.net/.

More information on installation requirements and procedure is in the STM32CubeMX for STM32 configuration and initialization C code generation user manual (UM1718).