cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32WB - STM32_WPAN (BLE) with FREERTOS

AbidSulaiman
Associate III

Hello,

I am using CubeMX 5.1 and I am aware that it is not possible to activate FREERTOS when STM32_WPAN is activated. Is there any way to integrate FREERTOS with BLE? Is the feature maybe coming out in the future?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Christophe Arnal
ST Employee

Hello,

You may take as an example the BLE_HeartRate application. It is provided with both bare metal and cmsis_os (V1) interface on top of FreeRTOS.

BLE_HeartRateFreeRTOS is the FreeRTOS version whereas BLE_HeartRate is the bare metal implemetation.

Note that the FreeRTOS example does not implement low power mode. This needs to be adapted.

Regards.

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20
Christophe Arnal
ST Employee

Hello,

You may take as an example the BLE_HeartRate application. It is provided with both bare metal and cmsis_os (V1) interface on top of FreeRTOS.

BLE_HeartRateFreeRTOS is the FreeRTOS version whereas BLE_HeartRate is the bare metal implemetation.

Note that the FreeRTOS example does not implement low power mode. This needs to be adapted.

Regards.

Hello,

oh yeah. I forgot about the firmware package and just ask the question here. Thanks for the reply and explanation @Christophe Arnal​ .

Regards.

CSatz
Associate II

Hello,

thanks for sharing the BLE_HeartRateFreeRTOS example with us. However, this example does not have any CubeMx configuration file with it. So coming back to the original question: Isn't it possible to use FreeRTOS together with WPAN module in CubeMX? It would be great to do the configurations in CubeMx before diving into the code. Will this be covered in the near future? Is there any reason why this is not provided yet?

Best,

Clemens

Hello,

true. The problem is the implementation is a bit hard to do because of no configuration can be made with CubeMX. I did try doing it myself so I got my uC working with BLE and FREERTOS now. Just I need to read more now because there is no example on the low power mode with FREERTOS.

>>Will this be covered in the near future? Is there any reason why this is not provided yet?<<

I would like to hear from ST about this too.

Regards.

Is there any work currently being done on STM32CubeMX to allow for FreeRTOS and STM32_WPAN integration? I understand there is an example that merges BLE with FreeRTOS but one of the main reasons developers choose ST chips is that STM32CubeMX makes setup a bit easier than traditional methods. Its a bit of a hassle to manually port over FreeRTOS after generating a project.

Christophe Arnal
ST Employee

Hello,

There are currently two features under development :

• BLE/FreeRTOS Heart Rate with support of Stop Mode 2
  • CubeMx BLE/FreeRTOS generation support

I don't know when this will be available but the development already started. It should be available in some next release)

Regards.

Hi Christophe,

has there been any progress on this topic?

Regards,

Steinar

Christophe Arnal
ST Employee

Hello Steinar,

This is available in the Cube Firmware package v1.12.0.

Regards.

PATRICK COMBETTE
Associate II

Hello Christophe,

I posted a similar topic and also asked for the technical support.

Are we talking about the same requirement that is to run simultaneously FreeRTOS application based, and WPAN for BLE PEripheral (Server) with my own custom services definition ?

On my side, once I have read your answer, I tried tu upgrade to the v1.12.0 package but this one seems not to be compatible with my CubeMX version (which is 6.1.2). Do you confirm this point ?

When I try to upgrade CubeMX to the latest release (6.3.0) an error occurs ! See that in the enclosed capture file. Is that normal and do you know ho to do ?

Thank you in advance for your complementary informations.

Have a nice day

Regards

Patrick