cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with ST-LINK V3 STM32L1 debugging in Atollic

M_1
Associate II

Hi!

I'm trying to migrate from CoIDE to Atollic and discovered some problems.

It seems that STM32L151CC MCU supports 8MHz maximum speed but I found no option of speed adjusting in Atollic SWD interface. Atollic does not support ST-LINK V1 since v9.1.

Is it possible to program and debug STM32L0, STM32L1 series MCUs via SWD in TrueStudio?

5 REPLIES 5
mattias norlander
ST Employee

Hi M@ks,

There is no possibility to adjust the SWD speed using GUI or command-line with TruesTUDIO / ST-LINK GDB server.

Nevertheless the ST-Link V3 should work with L0 and L1 devices.

Are you unable to program and debug the device?

M_1
Associate II

Hi!

Yes, I was unable o program and debug the device. I updated ST-LINK V3 firmware to the latest version. May me it is the reason.

I added STM32Programmer according to this manual manually and set the speed to 4MHz and now it works. http://gotland.atollic.com/resources/applicationnotes/AN1801_cubeprogrammer_in_truestudio.pdf

It seems to be very strange but the programmimg process is successful at the second time only. First programming fails.

Atollic uses STM32Programmer-CLI and it reports an error. Is it possible to resolve my problem without any rain dances with manually adding this programmer?

mattias norlander
ST Employee

Which version of TS are you using? 9.1.0 or are you now at 9.3.0?

Do you have a Low-power application you are debugging? If the application is in low-power mode while the debugger is trying to connect you may run into problems. If you use external CubeProgrammer tool to erase first, and the TrueSTUDIO/ST-LINK GDB server to program and debug. Does that work consistently?

M_1
Associate II

I use TS version 9.3.0. I also tried version 9.2.0 and 9.0.1.

9.0.1 works fine with ST-LINK V1 (STM32VL discovery)

Versions 9.2.0 and 9.3.0 don't work even with fully erased chip.

mattias norlander
ST Employee

Ok - STM32VL Discovery is the only STM32 board that embeds the ST-LINK v1.

ST-LINK v1 is not supported by STm32CubeProgrammer.

In TS 9.1.0 the ST-LINK GDb server was re-written to use the STM32CubeProgrammer to perform flash operations.

This means that after TS 9.1.0 ST-LINK GDB server can no longer flash program STM32VL-Discovery (since it embeds ST-LINK v1).

So it is unfortunate but expected. Any unanswered questions remaining?