cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enable upload to homemade STM32F405 evaluation board

pedro1
Associate II

Disclaimer - my skill level is pretty low but I am very keen to learn :D

I made this homemade STM32F405 evaluation board and using STM32 Cube-MX, Keil uVision 5 and a ST-Link programmer was able to upload a basic blink code example. However I am wanting to be able to use the in-built USB to use this board in the future and am wondering how I can do this please. I thought that this STM chip had a builtin bootloader ? As I said my skill level is pretty low - is it that the built-in bootloader is for DFU mode only and that I require a VCP to be set up. That is my best guess and I apologise if I am very far from the mark. I would appreciate as much detail as possible please and I thank you for taking the time to read this and hopefully offer me some assistance :D

9 REPLIES 9
pedro1
Associate II

Totally lost on adding a link to the Evaluation board project sorry http://tiny.cc/z2v64y

MikeDB
Lead

The linked article seems to describe how to do it well. Unless the USB connections on the board are faulty, are you sure you have the USB at the programming end configured correctly ?

Clive1 (HNL)
Senior II

With the BOOT0 pin pulled HIGH, the device will enter the ROM based System Loader at reset, and should be connectable via USB in DFU. You should be able to program such a device with the STM32 Cube Programmer in USB (DFU) mode

pedro1
Associate II

Thanks for the replies gents. The board is going into DFU mode as witnessed by it showing up as ST32 bootloader in Device Manger. There doesn't appear to be any USB option in Keil to facilitate uploading to the board. I will check continuity of the two data lines from USB socket to STM, just in case that could be thereason why that option isn't available in Keil. I highly doubt it as surely the upload methods available in the Keil interface are set regardless of what upload device is plugged in.

Pavel A.
Evangelist III

>  just in case that could be thereason why that option isn't available in Keil.

Because ARM devices traditionally have a dedicated debugger connection. This is what Keil uses. Not the USB. Some ARM devices even do not have USB at all.

-- pa

pedro1
Associate II

Thanks @Pavel it is certainly looking like that. Can you suggest some software instead of Keil that I could compile and upload code to this board via USB with at all please? Thanks again for your time 🙂

Clive already suggested STM32CubeProgrammer.

Yes and as I stated right from the start I am using that already 😀 I worked out that I can use Dfuse and upload .dfu files via USB seeing as my chip has a DFU bootloader right out of the box. Thanks anyway.

pedro1
Associate II

I worked this out. STM32 Cube outputs .axf files and also .hex. To upload via USB in DFU mode you need to convert the hex to a dfu file. This can be done in the DFU manager section of the Dfuse spoftware which can then also upload it to the board via USB