cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How I need to set the CAN FilterIDHig/Low and MASKIDHigh/Low, the FilterScale 16 or 32 bit, and what they mean? I would like to use the IDLIST configuration, but I cant find any useful documentation.

JSzuc
Associate II

5 REPLIES 5

The Reference Manuals used to have a diagram showing the relationship with the filter registers and the bits on the wire.

I've predominantly used the mask/comparator methods.

If you know the message IDs from traffic on the bus, it shouldn't take more than a couple of educated guesses about the bit position of the 16-bit ID field to confirm the mechanics.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
JSzuc
Associate II

Yes, that is a very nice diagram.

But my question was, what the relationship betveen the message ID (in the message) and the data field content in the CAN_FilterTypeDef structure? The HAL user manual (UM1725) is not saying any concrete information about that. "Filter scale - Specifies the filter scale". What a suprise! Ok.

JSzuc
Associate II

Anyway this wors:

.FilterMode = CAN_FILTERMODE_IDLIST;

.FilterScale = CAN_FILTERSCALE_16BIT;

.FilterIdHigh = 0x321 << 5;

.FilterIdLow = 0x0000;

.FilterMaskIdHigh = 0x0000;

.FilterMaskIdLow = 0x0000;

but it dont care the FilterScale! It is working with the

.FilterScale = CAN_FILTERSCALE_32BIT; too.

Why I need this: "<<5"? And where it is in the manuals?

The HAL user manual is saying: "FilterIdHigh - Specifies the filter identification number (MSBs for a 32-bit configuration, first

one for a 16-bit configuration). This parameter must be a number between Min_Data = 0x0000 and Max_Data = 0xFFFF"

So this was my question. And maybe I understand why saying that some peoples, the HAL Drivers is a junk.

Ben K
Senior III

The reference manual is the only place that has an explanation, look for the diagram outlining the position of ID, RTR and IDE bits in the filter banks.

You can also check this function, which translates actual ID configuration to filter bank settings (spoiler: it's not nice, I also have no idea why they had to design it this complicated).

JSzuc
Associate II

Thank You Ben! I will read that.

Sorry, I was wrong. My question would have been right : "How I need to set the CAN FilterIDHig/Low and MASKIDHigh/Low, the FilterScale 16 or 32 bit, and what they mean in the HAL Driver? I would like to use the IDLIST configuration."